Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 844 In Nebraska Last Friday

Date: 10/19/16 11:50
844 In Nebraska Last Friday
Author: twjurgens

Despite the gloomy weather last Friday, we went out to get some pictures  of the UP's 844 on its way to Memphis.  We haven't seen it on this part of the system for several years and didn't want to miss the opportunity.
 We went west as far as Edgar scouting for photo locations.  We knew there would be a stop at Belvedere so we planned to get some shots west of there then leap frog ahead of it and get some shots between Belvedere and Fairbury.  We thought, because of what appeared to be a slow schedule, the train would be kind of loafing along.  To our surprise, it was probably doing 45 to 50 mph when we got our shots.  The train was short and it was good to see the steamer without a diesel assist!    Edgar didn't work out quite as well as we thought it might so we went east to Carleton where we got these first two views.  An advantage of the cool, damp weather was that the steam was more dramatic in the first shot!  (5 more follow)

Date: 10/19/16 11:52
Re: 844 In Nebraska Last Friday

These three are about a mile and a half or so west of Powell, NE. 

Date: 10/19/16 11:53

The last two are at Fairbury where we finally got a little sunshine.  Now I'm hoping to be able to go down around Marysville when it returns in a couple weeks!

Date: 10/19/16 12:27
Author: Copy19

Love that broadside rods down portrait in front of the Fairbury depot.  classic.
JB - Omaha

Date: 10/19/16 12:55
Author: trainmanwes

twjurgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last two are at Fairbury where we finally got
> a little sunshine.  Now I'm hoping to be able to
> go down around Marysville when it returns in a
> couple weeks!      Wow! what a great shot.

Date: 10/19/16 12:57
Author: santafe199

Nice work, Tom! You got the better angle at Carleton. I didn't get the colorful fall foliage like I thought I would. But it was fun bopping around with you guys. Let's do it again when she returns...

Willie Wildcat (EMAW)

Date: 10/19/16 16:58
Author: BigSkyBlue

Copy19 Wrote:
> Love that broadside rods down portrait in front of
> the Fairbury depot.  classic.
> JB - Omaha

That is a great shot.  And they've got a skate behind the second axle to be sure it doesn't go anywhere.   BSB

Date: 10/19/16 19:01
Author: grafvonb49

Nice images, thanks.  Anyone know why the second wheelset on the lead truck is so rusty in comparison to the first?
grafvonb49

Date: 10/19/16 19:11
Author: SCKP187

Great photos---nice to see you could get some shots without a large crowd of people in the way.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/19/16 19:44
Author: wpjones

I'll bet it's grease from the crosshead guide.
Steve

grafvonb49 Wrote:
> Nice images, thanks.  Anyone know why the second
> wheelset on the lead truck is so rusty in
> comparison to the first?
> grafvonb49

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.082 seconds