Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The original Georgetown Railroad "Slot Machine"

Date: 10/19/16 16:23
The original Georgetown Railroad "Slot Machine"
Author: PALuvR

The GRR started out with the Dump Train back in the 80's. Unsure of the date of this photo. I know it belongs in the "Nostalgia" section but since it's related to my recent post, I thought it was appropriate to include it here.

I appreciate y'all taking a look.

Mike

Date: 10/19/16 16:28
Re: The original Georgetown Railroad "Slot Machine"
Author: Ritzville

I like that MKT unit!

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/16 16:29 by Ritzville.

Date: 10/19/16 16:39
Author: mojaveflyer

Here's a nearly identical train I spotted in Berthoud yesterday on the BNSF Front Range Sub. The train made several  stops to dump ballast in Berthoud, Loveland, two  spots in Ft Collins and at Norfolk siding in far northern Colorado. The reporting marks on the rail cars was GREX. Very interesting train to watch!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 10/19/16 16:43
Author: PALuvR

Back in the old days, reporting marks were GRR which can be seen faintly on the lower left front corner. Thanks for the shot.

Mike

Date: 10/19/16 16:49
Author: miralomarail

Back in Jan of 1993, the ESPEE , was having problems on " Beaumont Hill " In Southern , Ca and the " Georgetown RR Slot Machine " came to the rescue , Including Georgetown RR Power !
As seen departing West Colton Yards, In Calif  Jan 20th 1993

Date: 10/19/16 17:16
Author: DavidMKetchum

These units make "regular" visits to Cheyenne WY, what with the quary at Granite on Sherman Hill.  Years ago saw one operating in the North Platte Valley in western Nebraska during the expansion, ie double tracking, on the UP west of Scottsbluff/Gering.

Date: 10/19/16 17:48
Author: MP555

But it's not a Slot Machine...it's a Dump Train.

Date: 10/19/16 17:56
Author: MP555

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a nearly identical train I spotted in
> Berthoud yesterday on the BNSF Front Range Sub.

Interesting to note that in your picture, a Herzog MPM is next to the locomotives.  The MPM is a direct competitor to Georgetown's Self-Powered Slot, or SPS. 

Herzog now has a product that is a direct competitor to the Dump Train that they call an Automated Conveyor Train, or ACT.

http://hrsi.com/services/automated-conveyor-train-a-c-t/

Date: 10/20/16 07:33
Author: railstiesballast

The original market for these included commercial (i.e. revenue) delivery of aggregate to highway contractors and other construction projects.
Material can be stockpiled anywhere that there is suitable access to the right of way and where trains can stop for about an hour.
Is that business still being done by this type of train?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds