Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The McCloud Railway SD38s have NOT left McCloud - yet...

Date: 10/20/16 16:07
The McCloud Railway SD38s have NOT left McCloud - yet...
Author: mcfflyer

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4139430

Last Thursday, LoggerHogger posted a story on the departure of the final three SD38s on the McCloud Railway.   However that was a bit premature.

Jeff Moore who just had his new book, The McCloud River Railroads, published by Signature Press, is on his "tour" to deliver books to those who assisted him with the research in the book.  Well today, Thursday, October 20, he went to McCloud to drop a couple of books off there - and found the three SD38s still in town, although their departure is imminent.  He texted me that the 37 has no sand, and there is so much plant life on the rails that that the 37 doesn't have enough traction to even get out of McCloud, or apparently, even back up into the main part of the yard.  He said the train had been delayed on departing due to some needed mechanical work and some roadway work, clearing the line.

Attached are three photos that Jeff took with his iPHone 5c that were texted to me.  Pretty amazing clarity for an iPhone 5, I'd say.  All were taken early this afternoon.  Pretty lucky that Jeff, who had already put out an Arcadia book on the McCloud was there in town to witness this.  He asked me to post these for him.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

PS - His Signature Press book is terrific!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/16 16:08 by mcfflyer.

Date: 10/20/16 16:50
Re: The McCloud Railway SD38s have NOT left McCloud - yet...
Author: TCnR

Also noticed that the plant life around the tracks in Mt Shasta had not been disturbed last weekend, including a couple of weeds that looked about 4 ft tall. When something goes past those weeds it will be obvious.

Yep, looking forward to the book, apparently the Signature Press book is quite the intense treatise.

Curious about the switchback, whatever is leading out of McCloud will be trailing in Mt Shasta. Not a big deal but it is one of those curious things about the RR. Also, last summer I was at the switchback the flag was still flying and the loading steps where still in place, kinda ghostly.

Date: 10/20/16 17:15
Author: roustabout

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Lee.  Sad sight, though!

Date: 10/20/16 18:37
Author: CPRR

What is going to happen to the ROW?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/16 19:23
Author: JDLX

General update...I'm not smart enough to figure out yet how to post pictures from my phone, if that's even possible. The plan was to take the units to Mt Shasta today, word is they are headed for a shop in South Dakota. However, they got into some broom weed covering the mainline below the yard and lost all traction, and despite adding sand, clearing the vegetation away, shoveling dirt and gravel onto the railhead, and then directly in front of the wheels the 37 would get to a certain point and just spin. Late in the day they backed all the way to the depot and tied everything down for the night, going to come back and try it again in the morning. Quite a crowd of locals had gathered around by the time they gave up for the night.

The impression I get is this does not mean the end of this railroad, things might happen in the future...just in all likelihood without the SD38s if they do.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/16 19:34
Author: bluesman

What is the source of the whitish smoke near the 37?

Date: 10/20/16 19:44
Author: mcfflyer

I believe it's the 37's prime mover, idling.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/20/16 20:02
Author: TomG

Ya like rails to trails. This whole thing is a bummer.

Date: 10/20/16 20:50
Author: photobob

#37 in better times leading the Dinner Train at Big Canyon.

Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/20/16 20:58
Author: TomG

Come on Bob, i know you have some beautiful shots when it was still McCloud River.

Date: 10/21/16 05:07
Author: LoggerHogger

As you can see from these photos posted on FB the departure of the McCloud Ry SD-38's was delayed today by the weed growth in the McCloud Yards.

Martin

Date: 10/21/16 08:20
Author: JDLX

It should be noted that last picture was a photo stunt pulled by a couple locals after the crew left.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/16 16:28
Author: UPRR3985

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ya like rails to trails. This whole thing is a
> bummer.
​  No doubt! You know those greenie weenies love those trails. But if there is no business and noone with a fat wallet to bank roll it the operation will be done for. Like everything else these days, get your pictures while you can. At least we can still enjoy the past here on TOs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds