Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Here Is A Much Better Way For McCloud Railway #37 To Leave Town!

Date: 10/23/16 16:09
Here Is A Much Better Way For McCloud Railway #37 To Leave Town!
Author: LoggerHogger

These past 2 weeks have been very hard for those of us who worked on the McCloud Railway in the past several decades.  To see the line in such disrepair that the last 3 diesels could not even make it out of town together is disheartening to say the least.  Since I sold the railroad (and the 2 steam locomotives) for Jeff, I guess I should not be surprised as to what has happened to it.  But still it is sad to see.

Here is how I want to remember the McCloud. 

It was a few years ago that I was readying one of the McCloud steam locomotives for one of my fall photo freights.  While I was firing up the steam engine I head the horn sound of the train leaving downtown McCloud.  It was the last "Pumpkin Train" of the day leaving for the pumpkin patch up on Signal Butte.  I quickly grabbed my camera and caught a shot of Mickey at the controls of McCloud Ry #37 as she roared by us in the yards.  Sure enough, there was a pumpkin riding on the nose of the unit to set the tone for the trip.

This is how I want to remember the McCloud Ry.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/16 16:17 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/23/16 16:57
Re: Here Is A Much Better Way For McCloud Railway #37 To Leave To
Author: callum_out

At least you had a camera, we were at SPI Burney on a sales call when one of the last runs picked up,
way too much of "it'll still be here tomorrow".

Out

Date: 10/23/16 17:48
Author: mcfflyer

No kidding, Martin. I can't tell from the photo but did the 37 still have the front motherboard on the left side? Sure looks patched up now.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Posted from Android

Date: 10/23/16 21:11
Author: JDLX

I'm now picturing in my mind the #37 done up something like the Sacramento Southern power from last weekend...THAT would have been a sight to behold!

To answer your question Lee, the taped over numberboard is a legacy of the several months it spent sitting on the ties just above Howard about three years ago. 

Thanks for the photo and the memoris Martin...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 10/24/16 07:51
Author: mopacrr

What is the ancestry of the 2008 and the observation car behind it?  I was there in 2008 and don't remember seeing either one.

Date: 10/24/16 18:13
Author: PHall

The 2008 is a former U.S.Army locomotive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds