Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP "classic" scheme ?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/30/16 21:28
UP "classic" scheme ?
Author: eatontm

After seeing 2 flag units this past weekend vandalized on different units, 1 covered in graffiti and 1 painted to look like the flag was on fire, it got me thinking again. Why does UP continue to put the image of our country, not their railroad on the side of their engines? It seems like within a matter of months, the flags are dirty, fading, peeling, ect. I can only imagine how exhausting it is to try to keep up with those elaborate flag decals as the fleet of thousands age. Maybe its time to go back to the basics and proudly spell out their name again on their locomotives? I lifted the lettering off DD40AX UP 6936 and it fits beautifully on an SD70ACe. Silver trucks are just because I'm dreaming :)

Anyone else sick of crusty flags and up for a back to the basics?

T

Date: 11/30/16 21:36
Re: UP "classic" scheme ?
Author: 3rdswitch

Beautiful job T, would be nice.
JB

Date: 11/30/16 21:44
Author: highgreengraphics

Works for me, I like the idea! === === = === JLH

Date: 11/30/16 21:51
Author: miralomarail

Yes, It looks great, however, If their is no pride to Clean a locomotive with a Flag on It, then why would they keep units with Silver Trucks clean ?

Or the Great ESPEE , said it well, a Dirty Locomotive , Runs just as well as a Clean One

Date: 11/30/16 21:54
Author: bluesman

I think it looks great! I agree, time to go back to conventional lettering. No disrespect to Veterans or anyone else in saying that.

Date: 11/30/16 21:58

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, It looks great, however, If their is no pride
> to Clean a locomotive with a Flag on It, then why
> would they keep units with Silver Trucks clean ?

They wouldn't, that was just because it looked cool.

> Or the Great ESPEE , said it well, a Dirty
> Locomotive , Runs just as well as a Clean One

I'm ok with dirty power, I grew up with the Rio Grande. But seeing the flag flying around in disrepair or vandalized is another issue.

T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 22:04 by eatontm.

Date: 11/30/16 22:20
Author: miralomarail

eatontm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> miralomarail Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, It looks great, however, If their is no
> pride
> > to Clean a locomotive with a Flag on It, then
> why
> > would they keep units with Silver Trucks clean
> ?
>
> They wouldn't, that was just because it looked
> cool.
>
> > Or the Great ESPEE , said it well, a Dirty
> > Locomotive , Runs just as well as a Clean One
>
> I'm ok with dirty power, I grew up with the Rio
> Grande. But seeing the flag flying around in
> disrepair or vandalized is another issue.
>
> T

As a Veteran , It makes me sad and Pissed Off to see   "  Old Glory " Firty and looking so bad, NO excuse from a Large RR like the Union Pacific

Date: 11/30/16 23:14
Author: TomG

I wonder if UP pays a license royalty fee to the US government for the use of the flag..........Oh how ironic that would be.
(yes i know they don't to the few that wonder if i posed a real question)

Date: 11/30/16 23:45
Author: wko

Very nice shot, Tyler! I've been wondering this awhile so no, you're not alone.

A thought I had while looking at that shot is how about spelling out "UNION PACIFIC" on the side with the large number underneath it (fast-forty style), then they could have a  flag under the cab window with "Building America" on the battery box. Then with wings on the nose, you'd have everything covered!
~wko

Date: 12/01/16 04:08
Author: UP951West

I like it .  Thanks for your posting.

Date: 12/01/16 07:05
Author: BAB

I don't care where it occurs this vandalizing flags needs to stop those doing it don't care about the freedoms it represents and the lives it cost for them to live free. About the flags on UP engines like them personally so just my vote.

Date: 12/01/16 07:16
Author: Bob3985

I concur and fall in line with the rest of the posters here. Tyler is correct in that it is time to replace the flag with the embolden lettering like he used if the UP does not plan to clean and maintain the flag decals they are currently using. It is sad to see the nations national symbol degrade to the shape it is in on many of the locomotives. It was always nice when I would walk over to get my power at North Platte and step up on a freshly cleaned locomotive and head out to my train. But with the discontinuance of the inbound wash rack, those days came to an abrupt halt.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/01/16 07:40
Author: SCKP187

Nice thought and yes, the lettering looks better than a messed up flag.  Bring back the slogans as well.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/01/16 07:41
Author: toledopatch

I don't think the people vandalizing the "flag" units are deliberately assaulting the flag... they're just self-aggrandizing a**holes vandalizing somebody else's property, period.

That said, I dislike Union Pacific's appropriation of the flag for its commercial purpose, and if they're not going to keep equipment so decorated in good condition, they should stop doing it.

Date: 12/01/16 09:18
Author: espee4ever

A few years ago member MacBeau coined it "Decal Patriotism"—still works today.

—espee4ever

Date: 12/01/16 09:19

Don't get me wrong, I think the flag scheme looks really nice when its fresh. To UP's credit, I think they have tried to stay on top of the flags, replacing many as well as numerous full repaints of late. What it does show is it's simply impossilbe to stay on top of such a massive fleet over such an intricate system. I even like dirty, hard working railroad power, it just looks better on railroad logos then the American flag. As well, I think we've been inundated with the flag as a marketing tool post 2001. From beer to underwear, we've been a bit de-sensitized to the use of the flag. Union Pacific is already an extremly well known brand, they don't need to rely on the flag, they should be proud of that.

T   

Date: 12/01/16 09:39
Author: winchester

That looks fantastic.

Date: 12/01/16 10:20
Author: YukonYeti

Jumping up & down waving my arms and yelling "UP are you listening?"

YY

Date: 12/01/16 11:50
Author: portlander

I think your take on the on the scheme is spot on and I also like it better than the flag get-up myself.

I do however have a different take on the flag than most other TO-ers. I don't mind the dirt and grime. To me that's the epitome of a hard working America. At the end of a long shift on the railroad, trudging through mud and walking on rocks while setting out a bad order, tying 30 handbrakes on a 12,000 ton train to pick up a locomotive on a grade or walking my train in 105 degree heat after tripping the hotbox detector. After any or all of these tasks, I'm not clean and shiny, I'm greasy and sweaty. At that moment, I couldn't be prouder to look up and see an American flag that has been through it all with me. Not to mention the long tunnels, engine fires, vandals and anything else that can happen to a locomotive with a million miles of America on it.

So while yes, a nice clean locomotive and flag is certainly something to be admired, I can't help to think about the beauty of one that's been through it all.

I truly mean no disrespect to anyone who has served our country proud or feels otherwise.

-p

Date: 12/01/16 13:19
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds