Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Auto Repos down the coast

Date: 12/06/16 15:19
Auto Repos down the coast
Author: SCUfoamer

On the drive home from the gym this morning I noticed a string of auto racks creeping out of the Santa Clara yard. I ran home, grabbed my camera and headed south to Logan. The train made good time out of San Jose and met the Hollister local at Watsonville Junction. I believe that this was an old Beet loader for the SP back in the day. The low winter light made it a neat object to photograpgh with the tired AC4400s moving south at a good clip.

A CHP officer rolled up next to me and informed me that I was on private property. I was polite and asked if I could wait for the train until I left. He chuckeld and let me do my thing.

Fun little chase considering we get little to no through traffic on the coast route.

Date: 12/06/16 16:14
Re: Auto Repos down the coast
Author: mojaveflyer

Repositioning, not repossession as I originally was thinking... Nice.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 12/06/16 18:20
Author: jmf1910

Nice work, dude! I love the B+W. Sorry I forgot to text you about this train.

I'm glad the cop didn't give you trouble after you were very respectful towards him--that goes a long way (some TO members still need to learn this behavior).

John

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/16 18:24
Author: PHall

And yes that was a Beet Loader.

Date: 12/06/16 19:24
Author: DynamicBrake

The beet loader at Sargent definitely saw better days!  I have some great memories of watching the wooden racks being loaded.  An interesting operation indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 12/06/16 21:49
Author: cchan006

SCUfoamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fun little chase considering we get little to no
> through traffic on the coast route.

Thanks for the report and love the composition on both! Us foamers in the "South Bay" (of SF Bay Area) have to make every chase count due to the low train count... 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds