Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Oregon Pony

Date: 01/08/17 23:26
Oregon Pony
Author: ORNHOO

Cascade Locks, OR is looking at building a new home for the first locomotive built on the west coast: http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2017/jan/07/cascade-locks-looks-oregon-pony-museum/
alongwith another planned construction project in the same Marine Park: http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2016/oct/22/bridging-marine-park/

Date: 01/09/17 10:00
Re: Oregon Pony
Author: asheldrake

I was a bit surprised that the HR News broke this story but it is accurate.  Ken Vannice and I as representatives of the Pacific Northwest Chapter, NRHS serve on this Port ccommittee.  Our next meeting, weather dependent, is tomorrow evening.  The current Pony building is beyond its life span.   Thunder Island Brewing, located at the west end of Portage Road is building a new building on main street in Cascade Locks and will be moving out of the Port owned building.   The draft plan right now is to build a new building to house the Pony on what is currrently the Thunder Island Brewing patio area.  A new pedestrian bridge is also planned for the area.  

​I and others are strongly recommending that the new dispaly of the Pony include a replica of a period correct flat car so that folk can better understand what the Pony did in real life at the Cascades.....

​The Committee's charge is to make a formal recommendation to the Port Commission in early Febriuary.   Arlen

Date: 01/10/17 18:00
Author: WOPRJim

Nice passenger train in the background ;-)
Will the new bridge make a decent photo spot for the UP mainline?
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 18:01 by WOPRJim.

Date: 01/11/17 10:42

Yes, I believe the proposed pedestrian bridge will provide good photos of the UP main line.   I will be suggesting to the City Manager that whatever railings they install be planned to accomodate photographers.   The bridge is a city led with ODOT project versus Port and it is part of a expanded park development on main street (WA PA NA, I think is the name).  

​note, the planned committee meeting 1/10 evening was cancelled due weather.....winter is beating up Portland and the Gorge....8+" on my deck here in Portland.      Arlen

Date: 01/11/17 12:27

Jim,
​the city of Cascade Locks Manager:  "standing over the middle of the train track 25' above the railhead you could get a great pictrure of UP motive power"....he adds that Cascade Locks is already a great train picture location.....  I would add that the current site of Thunder Island Brewing patio, in good weather, is a great place for a burger, brew and train watching.   and there is a nice litle park on the east end of Cascade Locks with a bench for UP viewing, forgot the name but something relating to train watching.  

​when that pedestrian bridge gets under consruction, I expect us to get a lot of publicity for Cascade Locks.      Arlen

Date: 11/08/17 10:01
Author: ORNHOO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds