Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winter Park Express Ski Train - Day 2

Date: 01/10/17 10:16
Winter Park Express Ski Train - Day 2
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Greetings!

After not having enough time (between work and family) to even look at my camera much for a few months, things are finally slowing down a little. Was able to get out for the second run of the new Winter Park Express. In the morning, I setup for a shot at the east end of Plain (about 24 miles west of Denver on the UP Moffat Tunnel Sub). In the evening, it was up to the high country at Tolland for some low-light snow shots.

Here's hoping the train is a huge success and will continue for seasons to come.

==================

1. The train heads west at the east switch of Plain amidst blowing snow kicked up by high morning winds.

2. A look at two of the wrapped Superliners as well as the wrapped F40PH (technically now an NPCU) on the tail end.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 01/10/17 10:17
Re: Winter Park Express Ski Train - Day 2

3. In the evening, right around sunset, the train approaches the grade crossing at Tolland. The dispatcher had to flag the train in to the Moffat Tunnel, meaning 6 miles of 10 MPH running. So the train was a bit late when it finally got here.

4. The Ski Train was the first train through Tolland since the westbound Zephyr about six hours earlier. In that time, a fair amount of snow had built up at the grade crossing at Tolland. Alas, I didn't have my long lens on the camera (as I was set up for shot #5), so I had to settle for this 105mm shot of the action.

5. The shot I had in mind when I headed out west. AMTK 406 leads the train east through blowing snow. The classic yellow schoolhouse is clearly visible in the valley in the distance.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 13:33 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 01/10/17 10:17

6. The Ski Train met the only other westbound of the day at Rollins. This coal empty, headed for the North Fork Branch, now has a clear signal and is starting to pull west. It will continue on to Tabernash where it will meet the eastbound Zephyr. With slippery road conditions and rapidly fading light, there would not be another chance to shoot the Ski Train on this particulary day.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 01/10/17 10:24
Author: miralomarail

You did a Great Job under tough conditions

Date: 01/10/17 12:13
Author: OSWishram

Anyone know what ticket sales have been these first few days?

Bob Willer
Flatlander

Date: 01/10/17 13:22
Author: SP8595

Awesome shots Kevin, shot #4 Rocks!!

Date: 01/10/17 18:27
Author: grandroad

Kevin -

Way to tough out some brutal conditions. I know it was cold and slick. Great shots. 

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 01/10/17 21:37
Author: es44fan

#1 and #5 are great shots. Nice job in the snow!!

Date: 01/10/17 22:12
Author: Cajon92

Very nice photos.

Ryan

Date: 01/11/17 00:17
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice work,  Kevin! The shot at East Plain and the crossing at Tolland are absolutely great! Thanks for sharing...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 01/11/17 04:43
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 01/11/17 05:57
Author: oklachaser

Great photos. #4 is awesome.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 01/11/17 10:22
Author: the_expediter

Gracias, Amigo! Thanks for braving the elements for those shots...Steve in Soggy Grossmont, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1838 seconds