Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Gateway Sub at Stampfli Lane MP 193.5

Date: 01/11/17 12:18
BNSF Gateway Sub at Stampfli Lane MP 193.5
Author: icancmp193

Ventured out to get the mail a few minutes ago and took a few photos at the Stampfli Lane road crossing.
The waters have receded a foor ot two since yesterday.

1. Looking north at the crossing
2. Looking south towards "downtown" Crescent Mills, CA.
3. Another view looking south.

There are 7 cars of ballast in Crescent Mills (6 brought in last night as mentioned by neighbor DaveL earlier) but the power went north earlier this morning.
We are getting a break in the weather with some modest (2-3") of snow in the forecast for tonight.

Tom Y

Date: 01/11/17 12:22
Re: BNSF Gateway Sub at Stampfli Lane MP 193.5

For reference, Indian Creek under more normal conditions.

Tom Y

Date: 01/11/17 14:38
Author: BobL

Wow!  I'm guessing the Mt. Huff golf course toward Taylorsville is also underwater.  Do you have any idea how much precipitation the area received in past week or so?  I normally rely on the Department of Water Resources Prattville gauge near Lake Almanor for precip data but it's on the blink for several weeks now.

Date: 01/11/17 15:00

It's no day for golf! Actually, fellow TO member DaveL is a reporting station for the Weather Underground. He probably knows the precip totals.

Also, just saw on the Quincy CHP Facebook page a picture of a large washout on the UP in the FRC down near Tobin. 

Tom Y

Date: 01/11/17 15:52
Author: DaveL

Bob, I have recorded an Average of 1" of precipitation EVERY DAY this year as of midnite last nite.
Last Jan only had 5" for the whole month.
I understand that Almanor is FULL.

DaveL

Date: 01/11/17 17:24

DaveL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob, I have recorded an Average of 1" of
> precipitation EVERY DAY this year as of midnite
> last nite.
> Last Jan only had 5" for the whole month.
> I understand that Almanor is FULL.
>
> DaveL

For comparative purposes, the Flood of '86 had 25" of rain in 10 days, so while this is a major event, it isn't quite as severe (see photo from 2-17-1986).
I don't know the rainfall totals for the Flood of '97, but the water level in Crescent Mills was a foot or so higher.

Tom Y

Date: 01/11/17 18:45
Author: BobL

Dave and Tom:  Since I'm a snowbird and fly away for the winter, I don't measure precipitation up your way but down here in San Rafael, I've kept track of rainfall since 1980.  As of today, I've received 29.9 inches of rain for the July-June water year which is about 180% of the average to date.  A good wet winter to be sure.

An interesting fact is that the rainfall here generally tracks very well with the precip at Prattville which currently reads about 20.5 inches.  Since the Prattville gauge is broken and not recording, the precip there in the past few weeks could be something like 9.5 inches.  Very impressive!

Date: 01/12/17 05:48
Author: DaveL

Hi Bob,

As of right now I have had 25.04"  since July 1st.
Dec. '16 got 6.69" and I have had  10.22" in Jan.

DaveL
Mp 193.5 BNSF Gateway Sub.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds