Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Oddities around Denver

Date: 01/11/17 15:50
Oddities around Denver
Author: SP8595

I drove into Denver to attend a meeting this morning and on the way into town, I spotted a headlight down on the old Rock Island line so I got of from I-70 and went in search of the train. This area of Denver is an older warehouse side of town with many industrial tracks and while trying to figure out how to get to the train, I spotted an old CB&Q car that would warrant a shot when I returned in the afternoon!

1) The train I saw from the freeway turned out to be a Denver & Rock Island local with the DRIR 1606 and the 2239. The 2239 is an ex-Santa Fe engine that had red paint applied over the old Santa Fe blue and yellow and the red has faded very badly resulting in one ugly looking engine! This same unit used to work on the Great Western Railway up in the Ft. Collins area. The line that the local is working on was the old Rock Island mainline West of where Pullman Jct. used to be.

2) The car that I spotted in the morning was this Burlington "doodle bug" trailer, the CB&Q 9817. I was very surprised to see this thing in such Great shape with no graffiti! There also is a dome car and another Passenger car on this spur but they were parked behind fences.

3) I also found this ex-Great Northern passenger car on another spur coupled to a Santa Fe MOW flat that had a piece of UP maintenance equipment on it.

------------------------------Three More Pictures Posted Below-------------------------------

Date: 01/11/17 15:53
Re: Oddities around Denver
Author: rrpreservation

The GN bag-dorm (1203) car belongs to the Museum of Railway Workers. It's paint, besides the graffiti has been impacted by UV. It is quite faded!

The other cars are being stored on DRIR track, but belong to different individuals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/17 15:54 by rrpreservation.

Date: 01/11/17 15:56
Author: SP8595

4) Not an oddity but just down from the old GN car was BNSF SD40-2 1844 sitting in nice light so it was worth taking a shot:}

5) I also came across this boxcar and old Burlington Heavyweight Baggage car on another spur.

6) This caboose has been shoved out to the end of a spur right next to I-70 for years but I have never taken its picture so since I was in the area, here it is! I believe it is an ex-CB&Q or C&S caboose.

I had no idea any of these cars were here (except the caboose). Guess you never know what you might find back in old industrial tracks:}

Date: 01/11/17 17:03
Author: cozephyr

The caboose along I-70 has another fresh coat of red paint - hides the graffiti that she unfortunately attracts.

Glad you enjoyed the spring like weather around Denver January 11, 2017.

Date: 01/11/17 17:10
Author: rrpreservation

Does anyone know if that is an ex-C&S or ex-CB&Q caboose? It sure has the telltale signs.

Date: 01/11/17 18:58
Author: upheritage6

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Does anyone know if that is an ex-C&S or ex-CB&Q
> caboose? It sure has the telltale signs.
​I have posted pictures before of the caboose. It is ex frisco believe it or not.

Date: 01/11/17 21:34
Author: dan

what no purple caboose?  the Q cars may go to IRM  i heard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/17 07:36 by dan.

Date: 01/12/17 08:16
Author: twin_star_rocket

I don't recall seeing CB&Q/C&S caboose with cupola braces.

Brian Ehni

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds