Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dunsmuir Cam teir 4 emd

Date: 01/18/17 10:45
Dunsmuir Cam teir 4 emd
Author: beefnlee

Is that a teir 4 emd sitting on the sidding at dunsmuir this morning? i cant quite see the number board as the camera is blurred by snow or ice. 

Date: 01/18/17 10:49
Re: Dunsmuir Cam teir 4 emd
Author: Grand87

sure is , some one needs to clean the lens lol

Date: 01/18/17 11:00

thats only half the problem with the cam up there!

Date: 01/18/17 11:25
Author: TCnR

The rings that you see are a reflection of the camera lens itself. When the sun is low in the sky there's all sorts of reflections that get into the enclosure. When we moved the camera there was a discussion about heaters and fans causing noise on the Video, in retrospect I would have found a way to add a heater near the lens to dry up the snow and rain drops on the enclosure lens.

It is not advisable to climb the depot roof, There's a number of people overlooking the depot who have been keeping an eye on things for us, not to mention it's slippery and not a nice place to fall. Since the Amtrak Depot is open 24/7 the Siskiyou County Deputies often visit the Depot checking out what is going on. Climbing the roof gets lots of attention in a small town. If someone announces they are going to trespass at the Depot and somebody else breaks into the Depot, guess who's going to be on the short list kept by the local S.O.

It's already been announced on TO that the Camera is not going to be upgraded, when it fails it will be dis-continued on TO, I would think if it becomes too much of a topic that would hasten it's abandonment. All outdoor cameras have the same problems as we see on TO. I put it into a place were I can service it when it needs work, I also upgraded the mount and the enclosure so it's quite robust, it's away from sources of noise, leaves, spiders and gets cleared out by wind and rain.  I think it's been doing pretty good for the past few years and am happy to see it when I travel.

Date: 01/18/17 11:29
Author: bath_wildcat

The number looks to be 3010.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 01/18/17 11:52
Author: ble692

That is UP 3012 sitting at Dunsmuir this morning. At this point in time, only the UP 3012 and UP 3014 are in service on the UP. The UP 3014 is coming north on a MWCRVX today and will be into Roseville this afternoon. It is on the point and just past Ceres at 11:46 this morning.

Date: 01/18/17 12:12
Author: dmaffei

Not going to complain at all here. Glad the cam is there. One of the benefits from TO I enjoy. Thanks for your efforts sir.

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's already been announced on TO that the Camera
> is not going to be upgraded, when it fails it will
> be dis-continued on TO,

Date: 01/18/17 12:32
Author: Rick2582

Dunsmuir Cam looks fine !  A few water drops or occasional snow, what the heck, I'd be rather bleary-eyed if I was outdoors in the weather 24/7 too.

Date: 01/18/17 12:53

yes looking better now. Why are these locomotives sitting in dunsmuir? any one know? 

Date: 01/18/17 13:31
Author: portlander

beefnlee Wrote:
> yes looking better now. Why are these locomotives
> sitting in dunsmuir? any one know? 
>  

Most likely to pull the flanger and push the spreader for the current and upcoming storms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/17 13:32 by portlander.

Date: 01/18/17 13:46
Author: HotWater

beefnlee Wrote:
> Is that a teir 4 emd 

For what it's worth, it is "Tier 4" and "EMD".

Date: 01/18/17 14:25
Author: LittleDoc

TCnR, Thank you for what you have done regarding the Dunsmuir Cam. I enjoy it very much, sun glare, ice, and all. Is there some way we could donate $$ for its maintenance? 

Steve

Henderson NV

Date: 01/18/17 15:24
Author: checkmate007

Looks like 3013 just got put on the point of #14 North as it was having engine problems.

Date: 01/18/17 16:41
Author: SPB

Thanks for the Dunsmuir camera and tending to it.  Its is fun to check out long-distance what is happing along the I-5 corridor.

​Gerry

Date: 01/18/17 17:13
Author: Grand87

love the Camera, not bitching

Date: 01/19/17 01:41
Author: Railpax71

I truly miss the Tehachapi camera where you could watch trains pass on Dunsmuir and then see them again, and vice-versa.  I know it depends on hosting, but I hope it can come back again. Yesterday was a very interesting sequence, but I wish TO would fix the https-http bug that prevents you from viewing if you log in via https.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds