Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Railfanning Kingman/Flagstaff questions

Date: 01/18/17 14:06
Railfanning Kingman/Flagstaff questions
Author: tehachapi-dave

Hello,

Going to be railfanning out on the BNSF transcon in both the Flagstaff and Kingman Canyon areas over two-three days.  Looking for where we want to go in and between these two general locations, and some specifics for Kingman and Crozier Canyons.  Seen many amazing photos here on TO, and hope to get to a few of those locations during this trip.

Thanks
Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 01/18/17 14:43
Re: Railfanning Kingman/Flagstaff questions
Author: donner_dude1

I hope you are ready for Winter Driving east of Kingman:

(EDIT) - I'm assuming you mean this week (your post did not say when).

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FLAGSTAFF AZ
241 PM MST WED JAN 18 2017

AZZ004-006-007-015-190700-
/O.UPG.KFGZ.WS.A.0001.170119T1300Z-170121T1900Z/
/O.NEW.KFGZ.WS.W.0001.170119T1300Z-170121T1900Z/
KAIBAB PLATEAU-GRAND CANYON COUNTRY-COCONINO PLATEAU-
WESTERN MOGOLLON RIM-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JACOB LAKE...GRAND CANYON VILLAGE...
VALLE...FLAGSTAFF
241 PM MST WED JAN 18 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO NOON MST
SATURDAY ABOVE 5500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FLAGSTAFF HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO NOON MST
SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL DEVELOP AND SPREAD FROM
  WEST TO EAST DURING THE DAY THURSDAY. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW
  WILL DEVELOP THURSDAY NIGHT...DECREASING IN INTENSITY DURING THE
  DAY FRIDAY. A SECOND WAVE OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP
  FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

* GENERAL EVENT TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...DEPENDING ON YOUR
  LOCATION WITHIN THE WARNING AREA...EXPECT 8 TO 16 INCHES BETWEEN
  5500 AND 7000 FEET AND 12 TO 24 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET. CONSULT
  POINT SPECIFIC FORECASTS AT: WEATHER.GOV/FLAGSTAFF.

* SNOWFALL FORECAST FROM 6 AM MST THURSDAY UNTIL NOON MST
  SATURDAY...

DONEY PARK  9 TO 15 INCHES       FLAGSTAFF 15 TO 21 INCHES
   GRAND CANYON 11 TO 17 INCHES      JACOB LAKE 13 TO 19 INCHES
      NORTH RIM 18 TO 24 INCHES           VALLE  9 TO 13 INCHES
       WILLIAMS 16 TO 22 INCHES

* OTHER IMPACTS...GUSTY SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF
  REDUCED VISIBILITY...AS WELL AS BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING...DUE TO SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW AND
STRONG WINDS PRODUCING LIMITED VISIBILITIES.

DRIVING WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS DURING THIS STORM. FOR THE
LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS AND CLOSURES...CALL THE ADOT FREEWAY
MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AT 1 888 411 7623 OR VISIT THEIR WEB SITE AT
WWW.AZ511.COM.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/17 14:48 by donner_dude1.

Date: 01/18/17 14:54
Author: toledopatch

When I visited seven months ago, I found Kingman Canyon to be fairly self-explanatory once I found the road that gets you in there. It shouldn't be too hard to judge looking at a map. But you do have to enter from the downtown end - there's no way in from West Kingman.

Closer to Flag, I've read in multiple spots that some of the dirt roads that provide access to the Crookton Cutoff have been gated off. Not sure I'd want to go back in there when it's snowy and/or muddy anyway, although the scenery ought to be especially beautiful with fresh snow.

Date: 01/18/17 16:16
Author: callum_out

Make sure you are not anywhere near Bellemont if it starts snowing, you'll very quickly learn
the meaning of "whiteout". Beyond that, dodging trucks in the snow is no fun! But, after it clears
there are some of the most beautiful vistas anywhere around Flag, timing (yah and location) are
everything.

Out

Date: 01/18/17 17:01
Author: Auburn_Ed

And BNSF Police patrol often and give summons.  There are paved public roads to almost any of the scenic photospots.  If there is ANY moisture at all, non-paved roads can become dangerous.

Ed

Date: 01/18/17 19:12
Author: TCnR

Great place for train photos. Yep, access is from a road that starts near the old depot but a decent map is your friend on this one. I think there's a baseball field way back there, or was it the City Treament Plant? The old two-lane hiway does follow the Canyon but usually on the wrong side for sunlight.

Yep again, the mud is really bad news with the least amount of water.

Date: 01/18/17 20:28
Author: Hookdragkick

Got 4-wheel drive?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/17 20:46
Author: Nomad

Alright, now that we've adequately addressed the "There's weather outside, you're going to die!!!!" warnings, on to your question...I've done Flag to Williams and Kingman, but not in between those.  Hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps.

A bit east of Flag, Cosnino road crossing has some decent views (Pic 1)
From downtown Flag, a drive up Mars Hill Road (follow signs to Lowell Observatory) yields a good overhead view of the town.  If you have a drone, you can skip this (Pic 2)
West of Flag, Parks Road also has a decent view (Pic 3)

Williams is worth a visit to see what the Grand Canyon railroad has sitting around.

As previously mentioned, enter Kingman Canyon by taking Old Trails Road from downtown...you can't miss it.

Hope you have a good visit.

tehachapi-dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Going to be railfanning out on the BNSF transcon
> in both the Flagstaff and Kingman Canyon areas
> over two-three days.  Looking for where we want
> to go in and between these two general locations,
> and some specifics for Kingman and Crozier
> Canyons.  Seen many amazing photos here on TO,
> and hope to get to a few of those locations during
> this trip.
>
> Thanks
> Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 01/18/17 21:08
Author: slug96

With this winter storm coming this week, be very alert on the road. I'm still playing it by ear when I'll head out...

Kingman Canyon (Pic 1): Great location! One of the few spots along the line where the main tracks separate. There's a paved road that runs down the middle of the Canyon and Route 66 runs along the north side of the tracks; with both main tracks visible the whole way through the canyon. With it being winter time, the road through the middle of the canyon will be you best for photos; based off of the sunlight. There is a dirt road that goes under the high water bridge on the Main 2. 2WD road, but you need some clearance. If you don't have it, its a short walk. Less than a 100 yards. There are plenty of rocks to climb up if you want to get some elevation. If not, being track side works too. 

Crozier (Pic 2): Follow Route 66 out of Kingman (signs say Route 66 Peach Springs) and it follows the tracks all the way to Crozier. Crozier is somewhat difficult to get into. There's a BLM ranch road, road mile marker 93 I think, that you can take that'll get you into the canyon. There's a sign in/sign out sheet you gotta fill out. Follow the dirt road and once you cross under the railroad bridge, hang a right and follow the road. It ends in the heart of the canyon, but the road runs through the Truxton wash and some of the hills you gotta hit with some speed, if not, you slide down. (Happens to me in a 2WD 3/4 ton Chevy pickup). With the weather this weekend, I would NOT go back there unless with multi vehicles and 4WD. 

Flagstaff: There's a lot of place you can shoot from from the side of the road. Google maps is your friend for this. With the snow this weekend, stay on the roads, don't try to go along the MoW roads unless you got 4WD. Even then, I wouldn't...Northern Arizona's red clay doesn't work well when it gets wet. 

Here's an RP search of the Seligman Sub. Majority of my photos have a geo tag with them so you can find out how to get there. http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?location=BNSF%20Seligman%20Subdivision

If you need any other info, ask away! Good luck, stay warm and safe!

Date: 01/19/17 08:42
Author: DWGOLDE

Just sit on the Route 66 biridge east of Flagstaff for at least a half a day this time of year and you wil not be disappointed.  This time of year with the low sun light is perfect in the morning for eastbounds and just about perfect for westbounds in the afternoon.  Even if it is snowing the photos from the bridge are great and there are signals for both directions to tell when trains are coming.  Also the Route 66 bridge over the tracks at West Crookton east of Seligman makes for great photos in the morning and afternoon.  Lastly do not forget to visit Darling east of Flagstaff for a few hours in the morning.  It is easy to photograph an eastbound at the Flagstaff 66 bridge in the morning and then chase the train to Darling and get a great photo at Darling.  Darling is not very good for morning westbounds.

Remember that in the wet wintertime that the Arizona red mud is like glue if you go off road.  When you go to this area spend at least three days in the Flagstaff area and you will not be disappointed.

Date: 01/19/17 16:49
Author: cookdb3

I was in Kingman AZ for my trainspotting and photography of trains in nearly two years ago and I usually drove on famous Route66, which has paralled to railway lines on both side of Kingman. I took lots of photo and video of trains and there were plenty of them all the time. I stayed in very nice motel for 3 nights and I still wish to be there right now. I had no problems at all during my staying in Kingman AZ.

Regards,

Barry Cook
Yass NSW Australia.

Date: 01/20/17 07:30
Author: Arkeytek

My daughter just went back to NAU this week; she's trying to get to classes this morning though 24-inches of new snow.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1144 seconds