Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Shortest Key Train?

Date: 01/21/17 16:23
BNSF Shortest Key Train?
Author: SD45

On a foggy Thursday morning last week I waited for a wb coming to Hutchinson which I suspected was th wb Local 11.  It was.  It is usually a much longer train than the attached photo shows.  Engines are the 2738-1981.  The hopper behind the power is a buffer with a loaded tank, LPG.  I would think this should qualify for a Key Train.

Date: 01/21/17 16:36
Re: BNSF Shortest Key Train?
Author: Hookdragkick

You would think but thankfully it's not--because, nobody likes going 50 mph :). 19 more hazmat, and you can report KY-key train.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/21/17 18:06
Author: ButteStBrakeman

19, wow... I think it was 10 when I retired.

Date: 01/21/17 18:39
Author: jkchubbes

Its changed a couple of times but currently a key train is defined as:

a. Definition:
A "Key Train" is any train that meets one or more of the following conditions:
(1) One (1) or more loads of spent nuclear fuel (SNF) or high level radioactive waste (HLRW) moving under the following
Hazardous Materials Response Codes -- 4929142, 4929143, 4929144, and 4929147; or
(2) One (1) or more car loads of any combination of either hazardous material shipments that require the phrase
"Poison/Toxic-Inhalation Hazard" (PIH or TIH) (Hazard Zone A, B, C, or D) on the shipping papers; or
(3) One (1) or more shipments of anhydrous ammonia (Identification Number 1005) listed as "Inhalation Hazard" on the
shipping paper; or
(4) Twenty (20) or more car loads or intermodal portable tank loads of hazardous materials.
Exception: Do not count shipments carrying mixed loads of hazardous materials (MXHAZD) in box cars, trailers, or
containers when determining key train status.
(5) A "Key Train - Crude Oil" is a train with 20 or more loads of Petroleum Crude Oil with an Identification
Number of UN1267.
(6) A "Key Train – High Hazard Flammable Train" is a train with 20 or more loaded tank cars of a Class 3 Flammable Liquid
in a continuous block, or containing 35 or more loaded tank cars of a Class 3 Flammable Liquid across the entire train; and at
least one of these cars is a DOT-111 tank car.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/21/17 19:45
Author: kd0086

Thanks for the updated information.

Date: 01/21/17 22:25
Author: Hookdragkick

SLOCONDR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 19, wow... I think it was 10 when I retired.

19 plus the one in train already. You need 20 to qualify.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds