Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Portland and Western Train 664 on Tillamook and United Districts

Date: 01/21/17 19:24
Portland and Western Train 664 on Tillamook and United Districts
Author: nomosantafe

I had the scaner onThursday and heard the Portland and Western dispatcher give train 664 a Track Warrant from CP Farmington to Banks on the Tillamook District.  This route takes the train over Cornelius Pass and on to the BNSF at Willbridge.  This is not the usual routing for this train.  It normally goes over the Willsburg District to the UP at Willsburg Jct and then to the BNSF via the Steel Bridge.

I hustled out to a crossing north of Cornelius and waited.  The train showed up with just 3 units and no cars.  I shot it at a number of locations and left it after it crossed the 1,000 ft long trestle over Dick Road (Holcomb Creek).

Friday they got the same Track Warrant and I went out to shoot them again.  They were light power again and I was wondering what was going on.  Later in the day, I saw a posting on Facebook from a BNSF dispatcher stating there were 45 trees down and 20 trains parked on the Fallbridge Sub on account of the ice storm we had last week.  The reason for the light power moves became apparent, BNSF wasn't taking any EB traffic.  Train 664 is the old BN/BNSF 664 that ran Albany to Pasco.  664 becomes BNSF train M PTLPAS at Willbridge.  Now it all made sense.  Portland & Western ran over their own line to the BNSF to avoid whatever charges they incur running this train over the UP to the BNSF at Portland.

Here are the photos from Thursday and Friday.

1.  NB between Hillsboro and Roy

2.  Crossing Susbauer Road north of Cornelius

3.  Geese flying over between Banks and North Plains

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Date: 01/21/17 19:26
Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts 2

4. - 6.  EB between Banks and North Plains on the United District

Date: 01/21/17 19:30
Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts 3

7.  EB passing big trees in North Plains - this is what I missed when I lived in Texas, BIG trees. 

8.  EB through North Plains  

9.  EB on trestle just east of North Plains 

Date: 01/21/17 19:33
Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts 4

10. - 11.  Light power crossing 1,000 ft long, 100+ ft high Dick Road trestle (also known as Holcomb Creek trestle)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/17 09:46 by nomosantafe.

Date: 01/21/17 19:34
Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts 5

12. & 13.  Crossing Valley Vista Road east of the trestle approaching the Cornelius Pass tunnel

Date: 01/21/17 19:36
Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts 6

14. - 16.  Friday's train between Banks and North Plains from the north side of the track

Thanks for looking.

Nomo

Date: 01/21/17 19:48
Re: Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts
Author: bad_track

nice shots!
I heard these moves on the radio also, and wondered what was up.
Thanks for the explanation.

bad

Date: 01/22/17 12:52
Re: Portland and Western Train 664 Tillamook and United Districts
Author: spdaylight

Love photo #11.  The crew must have felt like stars with you shooting them in all these locations . .

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds