Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > APL and EMP on BNSF

Date: 02/18/17 23:07
APL and EMP on BNSF
Author: stacktrain

I been seeing alot of APL containers on BNSF. Im currently looking at one as it slowly passes through Flagstaff, AZ headed west.

Is this a regular thing now?

I've seen it on a train or two before but not this many.

Seen a few EMP containers on a couple trains too.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/17 23:10 by stacktrain.

Date: 02/18/17 23:28
Re: APL and EMP on BNSF
Author: mg8711

I've noticed a few APL containers on BNSF recently as well. I think when the EMP containers show up though they're being used by UPS. I've also noticed UMAX containers mixed with UPS been going on for a few years now.
mg8711

Posted from Android

Date: 02/19/17 01:49
Author: mearsksealand

What you are seeing is the result of CMA-CGM purchase of APL as they use BNSF--so you are seeing APL containers which are now CMA-CGM

Starting in April things will really get confusing as the new alliances kickoff
Dale Smith

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 01:51 by mearsksealand.

Date: 02/19/17 03:56
Author: zchcsse

Some (newer) EMP containers that show up on Z trains among other UPS containers are being used by UPS, as mentioned above.   There are a bunch of older, white, EMP containers showing up on some Q trains.   I surmise that they are now former EMP containers and are owned by another company, but that is currently an assumption.

Date: 02/19/17 08:05
Author: gmojim

EMP is UP-NS owned pool. UPS may load an EMP container and then decide to send on BNSF.  BNSF just regards it as a UPS owned container.
​UPS would pay EMP the daily rental on the container.
​Any conpany such as JBHunt,,Schneider, Swift could have a EMP container and send on BNSF. The deal would be same as UPS situation above.
​This situation occurs when someone loading containers, selects the wrong container to load.

gmojim

Date: 02/19/17 08:12
Author: gmojim

UMAX is a UP-CSX pool. Exact same situation as the EMP situation I just described. BNSF considers them shipper owned containers.

gmojim

Date: 02/19/17 08:25
Author: bradleymckay

stacktrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I been seeing alot of APL containers on BNSF. Im
> currently looking at one as it slowly passes
> through Flagstaff, AZ headed west.
>
> Is this a regular thing now?
>
> I've seen it on a train or two before but not this
> many.
>
> Seen a few EMP containers on a couple trains too.
>
>
> Posted from Android

Same thing on UP.  The APL and CMA CGM containers are mixed together so there are alot more CMA CGM containers being seen on UP stack trains now.

Allen

Date: 02/19/17 08:31
Author: bradleymckay

UP is still moving CMA CGM/APL containers out of Global Gateway South at the Port of LA.  They ran a KGSG42-14 and a KGSMN3-15 several days ago as well as a ILXG4-15.

Allen

Date: 02/19/17 09:21
Author: mapboy

I spent most of the day yesterday in Tucson on UP's Sunset Route and saw CMA CGM cans mixed with APL cans on the IDULB and KSILB.  I know there'll be a lot of intermodal fans looking at this, so I'll add the KSILB picked up at Tucson Yard 25 platforms of Evergreens, 12 of domestic 53' cans and possibly some CMA CGM and APL, brought over from the Port of Tucson at Wilmot.

mapboy

Date: 02/19/17 09:42
Author: Hookdragkick

mearsksealand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you are seeing is the result of CMA-CGM
> purchase of APL as they use BNSF--so you are
> seeing APL containers which are now CMA-CGM
>
> Starting in April things will really get confusing
> as the new alliances kickoff
> Dale Smith
>
> Posted from iPhone

Kudos. It all makes sense now when I seem them rolling through the Gallup/Seligman.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds