Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Plain face" Grinstein leading Q-train down the Joint Line

Date: 02/19/17 13:55
"Plain face" Grinstein leading Q-train down the Joint Line
Author: SP8595

I noticed late this morning that BNSF's Southbound Portland, OR to Alliance, TX Q-train had a Grinstein painted SD70MAC on the point departing Denver so I gave chase even though the weather was pretty gray today.

1) This shot from the new overpass at Orsa, just West of Castle Rock on Main #1 typifies what the weather has been like along Colorado's Front Range most of this Winter season. The white puffy clouds back behind the snow covered peaks way in the background means its snowing in the Mountains. Then after a little blue sky, there are the dark "wave clouds" from the down-slopping winds resulting in windy, warm weather. The result is no snow down in Denver, brown grass and really dry conditions (witness the recent fire in the foreground) with near record high temperatures!

2) Church has just let out at Larkspur and the cars driving down the dirt road have left a cloud behind the containers.

3) A view of the other side of the train at the overpass South of Monument. Three engines is pretty unusual on these Q-trains and the addition of the CSXT 8603, a standard cab SD50-2 (ex-Seaboard System) was an added bonus!

-----------------------------Two More Pictures Posted Below-----------------------

Date: 02/19/17 14:01
Re: "Plain face" Grinstein leading Q-train down the Joint Line
Author: SP8595

4) On the way home, I shot the BNSF 6419 (in Santa Fe days, this number was once occupied by the one and only SF30B:}) South of Larkspur leading loaded coal train C BTMMON0 02. This train was a little different as most of the cars were black painted aluminum cars with EGSX initials.

5) The big surprise was spotting the Pikes Peak local heading North, shot at Castle Rock on Main #2 with BNSF GP39-3 (?) 2587 and GP39M 2897. Hey JB, doesn't this job head North on Tuesday and Friday!?!

Date: 02/19/17 14:55
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow, love the angle off the new bridge, what a difference from the north side! How that local manages to die handling five or six cars is a mystery to me? As far as "I know" it doesn't even work on Sunday?!?!?! Great bunch.
JB

Date: 02/19/17 14:58
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Nice Series John!

Date: 02/19/17 15:44
Author: SN711

Makes me wish that I lived in the Denver area, at least part of the year.

Gary

Date: 02/19/17 15:44
Author: philhoov

If you have a fertile mind and look carefully, that Grinstein looks like it's winking and smiling with that sagging walkway chain.
Phil

Date: 02/19/17 16:44
Author: eatontm

Coal power on the Q, got to love it. Amazing consist for that train, worth the chase in any weather. Great spots as always.

T

Date: 02/19/17 18:02
Author: upkpfan

Good catch John. upkpfan

Date: 02/19/17 19:09
Author: CP_M260

Very nice! Looks like you've had good luck the last few days. 

-Dalton 

Date: 02/20/17 04:55
Author: jmbreitigan

I sure like the looks of your first photo.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds