Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Busy Gemco Morning

Date: 02/19/17 14:35
A Busy Gemco Morning
Author: erielackawanna

When my mom visits these days she takes the train and I pick her up at Van Nuys (California), across from UP's Gemco Yard. Last three trips I brought my big camera but there wasn't a dang thing going on. This last trip, Wednesday February 8, I decided I wouldn't bring a camera, but as I was walking out the door, a little voice in my head said, "You just made something happen with your decision." So I went back in the house and grabbed my Canon 40D, just in case. 

Well, I arrived to an astonishing sight. The LOF41 Day Bud was putting together its train, while the LOF42 Saugus Local was waiting to get back into the yard (from the west side, where it never is), while the LOQ35 Gemco Flyer was sstill sitting, waitng to be broken up. All of this was due to major track work being done in the yard, which included a Brandt Truck train (the way I figure it, if there is an air pump and a train brake, it's a train).

I will have to remember this trick of almost leaving the camera home in the future. Here's an hour of action at Gemco.

Image one is the Saugus Local (LOF42) waiting at the west throat of Gemco) with the Day Bud (LOF41) working the background.

Image two is the Saugus Local's neat SP caboose (un-tagged by Gemco crews themselves with SP pride).

Image three is the Day Bud pulling back towards the yard again (the Day Bud's work is what is keeping the Saugus out of the yard at this point).

Date: 02/19/17 14:37
Re: A Busy Gemco Morning

Image four is the Day Bud now shoving towards the Budweiser plant.

Image five is the Saugus Local now shoving to clear the swich to enter the yard.

Image six the Brandt Truck train (which pulled up after both the Day Bud and Saugus were both gone).

Date: 02/19/17 14:38

Image seven is Amtrak 774, which has just deposited my mom.

Image eight is the Day Bud again, now returning by running down the passing siding to the east end of Gemco.

Image nine is the Gemco Flyer (LOQ35), still sitting waiting to be broken up.

Date: 02/19/17 15:20
Author: AZSP

Great series!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/19/17 15:22
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 02/19/17 16:32
Author: mapboy

Good timing that your mom didn't have to wait while you took all these pictures, or for you to miss taking them because you didn't want mom to wait.

mapboy

Date: 02/20/17 16:33
Author: ProAmtrak

Love the shots too, one thing I do remember taking Metrolink to/from the AV when I got into LA off of the Chief is seeing that caboose look like crap and I had no desire to shoot it (did regret not shooting my last witness of a solid SP Power Set on that Local at CP Balboa heading towatrds Lancaster one time) and hope they can keep it in that basic paint, be nice to see Southern Pacific Lettering put back on though!

Date: 02/20/17 20:33
Author: SantaFeRuss

570 needs freakin paint job. Nice shots of the local activity. Good to see the Southern Pacific Caboose is still not vandalized.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds