Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yuba river bridge Marysville ca

Date: 02/19/17 15:54
Yuba river bridge Marysville ca
Author: bnsftim

A lot of pile driving going on as I speak.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/19/17 18:37
Re: Yuba river bridge Marysville ca
Author: TCnR

Is this the UPRR rail mounted pile driver?

Or are Contractors out on the bridge with rubber-tired cranes?

Or how are they going about it?

Date: 02/19/17 20:10
Author: lynnpowell

Which bridge, the ex-SP bridge or the ex-WP bridge?

Date: 02/19/17 20:13
Author: bkban

It's the old SP bridge and the pile driver is working on the south end of the bridge.

Date: 02/20/17 01:04
Author: coach

Are trains heading north on the Sac sub, then using the wye at Marysville to continue north on the ex-SP?  Or is this bridge north of the wye?

Date: 02/20/17 06:49
Author: bnsftim

This is the old SP bridge. I did not see any trains using the WP bridge either at the time.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/20/17 21:01
Author: mlehnn

I saw a double stack headed south on the ex-WP bridge a few hours ago

Date: 02/21/17 06:54
Author: portlander

I was told last night that the bridge would be open again in two days. We'll see. . .

Date: 02/21/17 07:07
Author: Lackawanna484

Are the WP and SP bridges upriver or downriver from where the never built Marysville Dam and lake was supposed to go?

A recent article discussed the Marysville Dam. on the Yuba River. It was supposed to be a control dam, restricting flow into the Feather River.  The Oroville Dam was constructed with the expectation that Marysville Dam would restrict flows in times of very heavy water flow.

Marysville was deferred and then cancelled altogether.

Date: 02/21/17 08:24
Author: TCnR

The Yuba River meets the Feather River just below the City of Marysville, SP has a Yuba crossing and a Feather river crossing. WP has a Yuba River crossing below Marysville and then follows the Feather upstream past Oroville, the Dam and into the canyon. Binney Junction is essentially between the two rivers. I don't recall a Marysville Dam, there had been flooding from the Yuba river in the distant past. There is an estimate that the Yuba contributes about 10% of the Feather River.

A link to the article might help, I found a summary of an article in Barron's but they seem to have the towns and rivers confused.  New Bullard's Dam was completed about the same time as the Oroville Dam and is on the North Fork of the Yuba River. Upstream there are three branches of the Yuba river, there's some info, history and drainage maps on the Yuba River Wikipdia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuba_River

There's quite a few rivers and canyons in the Mountains upstream. There were lots of projects. Most of the concerns are upstream from Marysville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/17 08:40 by TCnR.

Date: 02/21/17 09:32
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks. The article in Barron's refreshed / confused my recollection.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds