Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I-35 and 1-435 in KC Drone Video of BNSF Stack train

Date: 02/21/17 18:32
I-35 and 1-435 in KC Drone Video of BNSF Stack train
Author: docgrommesh

I finally got a program to get "sound" on my drone videos that everyone has been asking for in the past.  It is quite a bit of work but the fun of making these videos makes it worth it!
I have been trying to get this shot at the I-435 and I-35 interchange in KC and I finally had a nice day on Sunday to get it.  I added a little video from the west side of KC to end it with a bang...lol
I was trying to get something besides a stack train and had never even seen one on these tracks before and what came?? a stack train...but with the setting sun it turned out pretty good I thought

Enjoy the View!

Doc

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/21/17 18:54
Re: I-35 and 1-435 in KC Drone Video of BNSF Stack train
Author: richmp412

Very, very good. Many thanks and keep them coming.

Date: 02/21/17 19:19
Author: EastKSRailfan

Thanks, Doc! I've been to both places, but never up in the air as you show them.  Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 02/22/17 05:37
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!

Date: 02/22/17 06:07
Author: Grand87

Awesome video!

Date: 02/22/17 07:40
Author: kansas1

Enjoyed the entire video, including the ending shot at Holliday. There are almost always train fans there (as there were in your video). 

For those who have never been to that spot, try not to visit with a south wind because the Kansas City, Kansas, landfill is immediately to the south. 

Date: 02/22/17 08:17

You know it is funny because I would figure that spot would have people there because it is such a good spot.  I go there a lot and I have never seen anyone there.  I also have found to the west of there they have a walking path by some baseball fields and you can sit right next to the tracks.  I have a couple videos from there I will have to share.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Doc

Date: 02/23/17 14:59
Author: ProAmtrak

Way to go Doc, great job!

Date: 02/23/17 16:22
Author: billnict

Very Nice!

Date: 02/23/17 19:42
Author: gttruex

Great video. I am curious however. Not many stack trains down this line. Usually they are over on the Transcon. Anybody know what the frequency of stacks are here and where are they headed?

Date: 02/24/17 17:27
Author: TheApostleGreen

So how is this done?  Sound from a ground mic, synced to the video after-the-fact with an editor, or what?  Curious...

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

Date: 02/24/17 17:59
Author: gandydancer4

I'm old school and not much of a "drone foamer" but I think this was VERY WELL done. Especially the pan shot at the end. You can't beat KC action and I look forward to more from you!

Date: 02/24/17 18:17

TheApostleGreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So how is this done?  Sound from a ground mic,
> synced to the video after-the-fact with an editor,
> or what?  Curious...
>
> ~Joe P.
> Hainesville, IL

So this is the hardest and most time consuming part of making these videos.  When I first bought the drone in July I was posting several videos on TO without sound because how can you get rid of the rotor sound??  Everyone loved the videos but they were requesting sound so much that I had to think outside the box.   I do take the sound on the ground and then the tedious part is the video editing to get the sound to match the train.  I have tons and tons of video but some are just to hard to match up.  I have learned better ways to maneuver the drone so it does match also.  Sometimes I want to rip my hair out!  lol.  But like I said when they are complete they are well worth it.

Doc

Date: 02/24/17 18:44

gandydancer4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm old school and not much of a "drone foamer"
> but I think this was VERY WELL done. Especially
> the pan shot at the end. You can't beat KC action
> and I look forward to more from you!

KC definitely keeps me busy and there is always somewhere new to go.  I take your comment to heart.  I know people kind of have negative feelings about drones.  I really did at first myself.  I used to fly big RC planes and small helicopters and just have always been so intrigued with flight.  I finally broke out and bought a drone and I tell ya there is just nothing like it.  I have so much fun doing it and you know as railfans we are always trying to find a bridge or something to get closer and see the trains.  Especially now that Trespassing is such an issue.  So with my flying experience it is a great way to not trespass plus it opens so many new places that normally we physically can't go.

Thanks again for your comment and there are plenty more great videos to come now that I can do sound,

Doc

Date: 02/27/17 07:45
Author: mlat

Thank you for the hard work.  The sound makes it so much better.  Great work.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds