Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Barbara (CA) Amtrak Station Question

Date: 02/22/17 18:34
Santa Barbara (CA) Amtrak Station Question
Author: randyr

Folks:

Prior to a family trip to Disneyland, aka Star Wars Land, next Monday. My wife and I will be taking 60% (3) of our grandkids on trip on the Pacific Surfliner this coming Sunday. I am debating LA-Santa Barbara or LA-Oceanside. The line south of Oceanside is out of service for trackwork this weekend. My question is, how close is the is the Santa Barbara Depot to restaurants, preferably fast food, shops, etc. Reviews I see on Yelp claim there are a lot of vagrants milling around, and complain the area is seedy. Just curious on your takes on a couple hour layover between trains.

Thanks in advance,

Randy in PHX

Date: 02/22/17 18:41
Re: Santa Barbara (CA) Amtrak Station Question
Author: millerdc

You can walk everywhere you probably want to go from the station.

Date: 02/22/17 18:47
Author: Josiah

Two blocks from the wharf which makes a nice walk.  Would not go up State Street from the depot, that section does have many homeless north of the freeway under crossing next to the depot.  Ocean front, beach, restaurants and wharf area well worth it and good exercise walking.

Date: 02/22/17 18:51
Author: px320

My wife and I caught a free jitney from the station to the pier. Lots of good places to eat. Far better than Oceanside.

Date: 02/22/17 18:57
Author: BoilingMan

Not really any fast food nearby, but no end to places to dine!  It's only 2 blocks to the beach and Stearn's Wharf- there are a couple of restaurants on the wharf with a harbour view. For a WABAC experience turn right at the beach (Cabrillo Blvd) and about 4 or 5 blocks down you'll find a SAMBO'S- the only one still kicking.  It was the very first one, and now, the last.
SR

BTW:
Besides Sambo's, a surprising list of familiar businesses got their start in Santa Barbara:
Motel 6
Carrow's Restaurant
Kinko's Copy
Lockheed Aircraft
Hamburger Habit
and anyone remember the Clenet Roadsters?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/17 19:08 by BoilingMan.

Date: 02/22/17 19:39
Author: mattwinegar54

Not even close.  Santa Barbara all the way. Stearn's Wharf has good food choices for kids.  Funk Zone has wine tasting and breweries for the adults.  Homeless are no more a problem than other downtowns.  Common sense will insure a good time.

Date: 02/22/17 19:50
Author: erielackawanna

Santa Barbara beats Oceanside by 10,000 percent here. I even question those who are worried about walking north. There are dozens upon dozens of restuarants to the north also. There are homeless, but it's a vibrant tourist and college town. You'll be fine.

Date: 02/22/17 20:01
Author: BoilingMan

There's an electric bus that runs up State as far as Sola St (about 12 blocks) and another the runs between the harbour entrance and the zoo (all of both West & East Beach).  They run every 15min and the fare is only 50 cents. (.25 if you're, um, old)   Look for the bus with the teal colored stripe.  I use it all the time while I'm staying on the boat- beats having to park downtown.
SR

Date: 02/22/17 20:58
Author: OTG

Santa Barbara and Oceanside are about the same.  They're both two blocks from the beach, and if you walk toward the ocean you find the touristy areas and pier, while if you walk away from it you find seedy areas and vagrants.  The downside to Oceanside is that they also have a gang problem, though that tends to be less of an issue around the station, and more to the east side of the freeway.

That said, there are far more options in Santa Barbara, so I think you can entertain yourselves longer, and if you're doing it for the trip, Santa Barbara is a longer train ride.

Date: 02/22/17 21:41
Author: DynamicBrake

Randy, Santa Barbara has a lot to offer!  First off, check out the Moreton Bay Fig tree next to the station.  One of the most impressive looking trees I've seen.  A couple of hours will get you the beach, walking out on the wharf and many choice places to "grab a bite."  The bottom line....HAVE FUN.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 02/22/17 22:08
Author: Fizzboy7

Santa Barbara all the way.   Lots to do and see for you and the kids.  I have not had any problems with the homeless.  In fact, I feel there are less around there than compared to most other CA cities.   Go for it.

Date: 02/22/17 22:12
Author: vegasrails

Santa Barbara is the place, you can walk or ride up state street or walk on to the Wharf. There's homeless but not the problem you would think , the wife and I stayed there recently I had more problems with dog walkers who did not pick up their dogs droppings than homeless. I enjoyed business class over regular coach as did my wife and the view up the coast I believe is more attractive than going south. It was my wife's first train ride at 50 and she was thrilled. So Good luck either direction you choose.  

Date: 02/22/17 22:22
Author: mapboy

The Stearns Wharf also has an ice cream store and a candy store, as well as the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Sea Center, with exhibits that kids will like.

mapboy

Date: 02/23/17 00:06
Author: doge_of_pocopson

SB is a wonderful place to visit and I have had no problems with homeless folks. I concur with the places mentioned, and you can expand your radius throughout SB with Uber/Lyft/taxi service. The zoo is quite nice, and there is a great carousel and park near the station. Have fun!

Date: 02/23/17 08:41
Author: irhoghead

Hands down, Santa Barbara. Don't let the few vagrants discourage you from heading into town away from the ocean. Lots of neat stores/shops/places to eat. You won't be disappointed.

Date: 02/23/17 11:39
Author: BarryC

SB for sure.  I recommend the view and the food on the wharf.  If you have time and could snag an outside table at Brophy Brothers, the view and the seafood lunch are quite good.  Enjoy!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds