Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Alaska Winter Operations: Anchorage South

Date: 02/23/17 10:06
Alaska Winter Operations: Anchorage South
Author: zwsplac

I'm getting ready to head up to Alaska next week, and while this isn't a railfan trip, I would like to photograph at least one Alaska Railroad train at some point. Most likely that will be one of their passenger runs. However, given the chance I'd love to capture a freight along Turnagain Arm. Looking at what information I can find online, it seems the Alaska operates a series of turns to meet the barges. The barges seem scheduled to arrive in Whittier on Wednesday. So it seems to me like the most likely days to see freights south of Anchorage would be Tu, We, Th. Is this correct? Do they ever run to Whittier for reasons other than meeting the barges where a train would run on other days of the week?

I've seen some information recently indicating they may be running some local freights to Seward to pick up lumber loads. Any chance I could stumble upon this while I'm there next week?

Finally, is it pretty easy to keep track of what's going on by listening on the scanner for track warrants? If I'm in the area doing something else, it would be great to listen in and head over to the tracks if something is happening. Thanks.

Date: 02/23/17 12:59
Re: Alaska Winter Operations: Anchorage South
Author: BarstowRiff

Attached thread two years old, but very accurate. Authored by a ARR trainman:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=158682

Date: 02/24/17 08:38
Re: Alaska Winter Operations: Anchorage South
Author: DRGW3002

PM me and I'll get you the meantime down on next week.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds