Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Eastbound Zephyr...20 Hours Late!

Date: 02/23/17 13:42
Eastbound Zephyr...20 Hours Late!
Author: ColoradoRailfan

A rare mid-afternoon run of the eastbound Zephyr on the Moffat in to Denver. 4 hours early? Ha! Nice try! Due to good old Mother Nature, the Zephyr was delayed 20 hours. It's been a few years since it was delayed this bad, I do believe. But when tracks are buried in snow and/or have no ballast underneath them, not much else you can do but wait.

Amtrak ran the Zephyr only as far as Salt Lake (turning it there to return it east) for 10 days or so. Seems like stopping that practice may have been a bit permature. Or, alternatively, run a separate Zephyr set between Salt Lake and Emeryville...whatever the delay might be. Keep the second Zephyr set running between Chicago and Salt Lake. Temporary connection for passengers in Salt Lake.

============

1. The Zephyr approaches the west switch of Leyden amidst a winter storm.

2. Taking advantage of the overcast skies, I shot the eastbound Zephyr from the north side of the tracks at West Leyden. Prior to this winter storm, it had been 39 days since the Denver-Metro area got more than a "trace" of snow. We've seen temperatures in the low-to-mid 70s (°F) in February! A little snow and a high of 36°F is a welcome change.

3. Looking away now, the Zephyr darts past milepost 13 down the main at Leyden. Clear signals the rest of the way in to Denver. The padded schedule between Winter Park and Denver should allow the Zephyr to make up close to an hour.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 02/23/17 15:09
Re: Eastbound Zephyr...20 Hours Late!
Author: ProAmtrak

Better late than never, hope No., 6 gets into Chicago Ok later on!

Date: 02/23/17 17:19
Author: Auburn_Ed

Is that train coach/coach/coach/diner/sightseer/sleeper/sleeper?  I stood on the same ground back in the '60s when the "Zephyr" was far prettier and seldom late.  AND I've also had the privelage of riding the new zephyr when it was 22 hours late to Chicago.  

Ed

Date: 02/23/17 18:46
Author: TennesseeTraveler

Actually, it is the Winter consist engines, baggage car, transistion dorm, SLEEPER, SLEEPER, Dining car, Sightseer Lounge, coach, coach.

Date: 02/23/17 23:55
Author: chakk

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Better late than never, hope No., 6 gets into
> Chicago Ok later on!

Still running more than 19 hours late as of Omaha, NE.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds