Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MILW GP20 vs. BN GP28M Rebuild Programs

Date: 02/26/17 18:05
MILW GP20 vs. BN GP28M Rebuild Programs
Author: GTW4611

I understand that both BN and the Milwaukee Road had rebuild programs that upgraded GP9's with EMD 645 engine components (MILW GP20 and BN GP28M) to create a 2000hp locomotive.  Most of the BN GP28M's remain in service with BNSF, while most of the ex-Milwaukee Road units are retired.  Aside from the modern carbody on the BN GP28M's how were these rebuild programs different and what is the reason that so few ex-Milwaukee GP20's remain in service?

Date: 02/26/17 19:01
Re: MILW GP20 vs. BN GP28M Rebuild Programs
Author: Milwaukee

There was almost 20 years between the two rebuild programs so I'm sure the BN's utilized much more modern technology and more efficient machinery.   The BN rebuild was much more extensive as well which likely made the units almost brand new while the Milw units were truly just signifciantly rebuilt older equipment.   Here is a very good older Trainorders discussion on the BN process:http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,166791

Date: 02/26/17 19:43
Author: SOO6617

The BN GP28M locomotives received major upgrades like AR-10 Alternators, Dash-2 electrical cabinets with modular electronics, etc. They were much more entensively modernized compared to MILW's GP20M locomotives.

Date: 02/26/17 20:00
Author: fbe

Golly, the MILW has been gone for decades and the Soo Line nor the CP needed all those rebuilt GP9s They were scatterred to the high winds. Many are still working industries and grain elevators.

BN in the form of BNSF still exists and their expensive GP28 locos may not yet be paid off so they keep running for now. I don't expect their careers will last much beyond their finance term.

Date: 02/26/17 22:57
Author: SOO6617

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BN in the form of BNSF still exists and their
> expensive GP28 locos may not yet be paid off so
> they keep running for now. I don't expect their
> careers will last much beyond their finance term.

I highly doubt they were financed for 24 years which is how long ago they were rebuilt.

Date: 02/28/17 00:51
Author: rdlehmer

Interesting comparison - however, the MILW didn't do anywhere near the work on their GP20 rebuilds as the BN/BNSF GP28M - the GP28M really doesn't look like a GP9 above the frame sill. An entire spartan cab and hood has been fashioned around a GP9 frame, trucks, and fuel tank. The prime mover has either been replaced or pushed with 645 assemblies and a new AR10 alternator. I saw one in Wishram last year and had to study it for a while to even comprehend that it started as a GP9...

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds