Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Soo / WC in Marquette

Date: 02/27/17 19:29
Soo / WC in Marquette
Author: yooperfan

When was the former Soo trackage into Marquette Mich abandoned? Who pulled the plug - WC or CN? I grew up in Marquette and spent many enjoyable hours watching the Soo switch their small yard. 

Date: 02/27/17 20:22
Re: Soo / WC in Marquette
Author: chakk

Winter 2015 issue of Classic Trains discusses the history of the DSS&A in some detail and includes photos of passenger trains in Marquette in 1951 and 1956.  I rode excursion trains on former DSS&A trackage from Marquette to Newberry and Marquette to Baraga in the 1990's (after receiving a heads-up from my aunt, who lives in Marquette).   The following book probably contains all of the answers to your questions:

Gaertner, John T. (2009). The Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway: A History of the Lake Superior District's Primary Iron Ore Hauler. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press.  349 pp. ISBN 978-0-253-35192-0.

Date: 02/28/17 19:05
Re: Soo / WC in Marquette
Author: toledopatch

I visited the Marquette area several times around 2000-2001 at the end of WC. The trackage into downtown Marquette was already long gone by then.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds