Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Birds Eye View of Helper Utah

Date: 03/12/17 13:53
Birds Eye View of Helper Utah
Author: jdln

I did a flyover of the Helper Yard yesterday. It's kind of sad how empty it is nowadays. It's still a very interesting and historic place to check out.
No audio. I also sped up the video to make it not as long.
Also, I have to say that drone photography is a game changer for rail fans. It's amazing the new vantage points these things open up.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/12/17 14:51
Re: Birds Eye View of Helper Utah
Author: railwaybaron

Holy-Moly! Now I have views of the engine house and sand tower I have never seen before! I'm building a model of Helper, UT, in my "basement" including Radio KOAL, the voice of Castle Valley. But since I was not about to cross the yard tracks I never knew what the details were on the side away from the depot. Thanks coaloads! If you should do this again at Helper, from maybe a different angle, please post them as well. This video was worth my new subscription!

Date: 03/12/17 15:37
Author: skyview

Wow, so empty... hard to beleive (well no, its not, just more shocking).

Date: 03/12/17 17:00
Author: dan

never saw the east end of the yard

Date: 03/12/17 23:38
Author: the_expediter

Never knew there was track age that went around that hill to the east...very interesting...but Sad yard is empty..jobs gone...

SHM

Date: 03/13/17 00:51
Author: gobbl3gook

Nice, thanks for sharing.  

Topo maps attached, Helper and Martin, from 
http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Do you have any footage of the Martin engine shops & etc?  

Ted in OR

Date: 03/13/17 06:25
Author: mapboy

Here's a close up view of the far east end derail-  <http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2489474,2490548#msg-2490548&gt;

mapboy

Date: 03/13/17 08:00
Author: jdln

I looked around Martin but couldn't find a convenient place to take off from. There are a lot of power lines and I wanted to keep a line of sight with the drone so I have to get kind of close. I'll have to go back after a little more planning. 
I stopped at Gilluly and recorded a train; I'll get it uploaded today, hopefully. 

If if anyone wants a copy of this video in 4k I could set up a Dropbox or something where it can be downloaded. The file size is 2.3 gigs. PM me if you'd like a link. 

Date: 03/13/17 16:26
Author: gobbl3gook

Nice Gilluly video, too!  

Ted in OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds