Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 39th Winterail


Date: 03/19/17 06:46
39th Winterail
Author: cozephyr

Winterail 39 was a great success!  Enjoyed the program variety thanks to Vic Neves & all the roadies.   What a memorable time in wet Corvallis, Oregon.  Scott Loathes' Upper Mississippi River program was awesome!






Date: 03/19/17 07:24
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: stash

I agree. Excellent programs. And the upper Mississippi segment was incredibly well written and very interesting. A very enjoyable Winterail.

Posted from Android



Date: 03/19/17 09:05
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: OregonOldGuy

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Winterail 39 was a great success!  Enjoyed the
> program variety thanks to Vic Neves & all the
> roadies.   What a memorable time in wet
> Corvallis, Oregon.  Scott Loathes' Upper
> Mississippi River program was awesome!

and it is sunny and gorgeous Sunday morning!!!

Rob from near OSU
 



Date: 03/19/17 09:29
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

So what exactly goes down at a Winterail? Is there a Summerail too? Is it railroaders, foamers, or a bit of both? Thnx. 



Date: 03/19/17 10:39
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: cnr6776

ColdRainAndSnow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what exactly goes down at a Winterail? Is there
> a Summerail too? Is it railroaders, foamers, or a
> bit of both? Thnx. 

Never been to Winterail, but Summerail is August 12 this year in Marion, Ohio. The theater is a terrific venue and I imagine the audience is about the same as what you have at Winterail; a mix of railroaders, active and retired and fans. No excursions, but  there are the diamonds at Marion Union Station, restored AC tower and EL bay window caboose.



Date: 03/19/17 12:58
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: roustabout

It was a good program overall.  I thought Steve Barry's was the best with a great theme, continuity, excellent photography and a sense of humor about it.  Scott lothes' show was a very close second and his photography continues to amaze me. 

And the photo chase in Albany was a fun this morning.



Date: 03/19/17 14:24
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: OregonOldGuy

roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And the photo chase in Albany was a fun this
> morning.

So, what happened this morning?  By the time I got out of church, all I found was the 505 with a Fugly.  Got nice shots of the 2005 and the 1501.  My back was hurting from vending, so I managed to not get to see even one show.  Maybe Vic will remember to "pencil" me for next time!

Rob



Date: 03/19/17 14:58
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: BobB

ColdRainAndSnow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what exactly goes down at a Winterail? Is there
> a Summerail too? Is it railroaders, foamers, or a
> bit of both? Thnx. 

Winterail is a combination railroadiana sale (many vendors with many kinds of things) and photography show.  This was its 39th year.  Until last year it was in California, most recently Stockton, but Vic Neves, who currently runs it (very well) brought it up to Corvallis last year, not long after he retired and moved from California to Albany.  When I first started attending the shows were slides with accompanying music and some narration from the photographer.  Now it's all digital and prerecorded (including scanned slides for the older periods) with the music included, all run from a central computer.  I'm not a fan of most current popular music, but I don't let that get in the way of some really outstanding shows (though I must say that a show that Evan Werkema did a few years ago, documenting the construction of a bridge to good classical music, is one of my favorites).  It's not just the US--this year there was an outstanding review of the end of steam in China by someone who lived there at the time.  In addition, there's a pre-show with separate admission and sponsorhip on Friday night that can also have some interesting things (this year I remember especially running steam locomotives on a line in Eritrea and some pictures from Bulgaria).  In short, if you're on the west coast or can get there, it's well worth your time.  winterail.com



Date: 03/19/17 14:58
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: roustabout

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> roustabout Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 
> > And the photo chase in Albany was a fun this
> > morning.
>
> So, what happened this morning?  By the time I
> got out of church, all I found was the 505 with a
> Fugly.  Got nice shots of the 2005 and the 1501.
>  My back was hurting from vending, so I managed
> to not get to see even one show.  Maybe Vic will
> remember to "pencil" me for next time!
>
> Rob

We started out by making a run between yards to exchange cars with a few folks following us and then there was a crowd watching us switch those cars out with good ol' 1501.  Photo line at Queen Ave crossing and all. 



Date: 03/19/17 15:08
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: daniel3197

small corrrectiion for historic info - record , the final Stockton and California Winterail was in 2015.
The first Corvallis and Oregon Winterail was in 2016 (last year).
If anyone can possibly make it Vic and friends (roadies) put on a OUTSTANDING and FIRST Rate show and 
very OUTSTANADING social gathering in Winterail
(folks typically come from all overy the nation).
I am very overjaoyed that I was able to attended from 1983 to 2008 -25 Shows in a row --WOW !!!
IT IS truly as Carol Voss said the "HIGH HOLY day of Railfanning" -BAR NONE !!!.
----Daniel

===========================================

BobB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ColdRainAndSnow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So what exactly goes down at a Winterail? Is
> there
> > a Summerail too? Is it railroaders, foamers, or
> a
> > bit of both? Thnx. 
>
> Winterail is a combination railroadiana sale (many
> vendors with many kinds of things) and photography
> show.  This was its 39th year.  Until last year
> it was in California, most recently Stockton, but
> Vic Neves, who currently runs it (very well)
> brought it up to Corvallis last year, not long
> after he retired and moved from California to
> Albany.  When I first started attending the shows
> were slides with accompanying music and some
> narration from the photographer.  Now it's all
> digital and prerecorded (including scanned slides
> for the older periods) with the music included,
> all run from a central computer.  I'm not a fan
> of most current popular music, but I don't let
> that get in the way of some really outstanding
> shows (though I must say that a show that Evan
> Werkema did a few years ago, documenting the
> construction of a bridge to good classical music,
> is one of my favorites).  It's not just the
> US--this year there was an outstanding review of
> the end of steam in China by someone who lived
> there at the time.  In addition, there's a
> pre-show with separate admission and sponsorhip on
> Friday night that can also have some interesting
> things (this year I remember especially running
> steam locomotives on a line in Eritrea and some
> pictures from Bulgaria).  In short, if you're on
> the west coast or can get there, it's well worth
> your time.  winterail.com



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/17 15:10 by daniel3197.



Date: 03/19/17 16:15
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: mapboy

Vic should try to have a presence on YouTube, where so many younger railfans hang out.  If successful in spreading the word there about Winterail, they could fill seats for many years to come. We're currently mostly an older bunch, with age reducing the number of fans willing to make the annual trek.

mapboy



Date: 03/19/17 18:27
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: NCA1022

I'll second (third, fourth, whatever...) the comments about Winterail 2017 once again being an outstanding show.  All of the programs were excellent and had something interesting to contribute, whether it was the subject matter, the story to tell, and/or demonstrating a creative approach to photography, Scott Lothes' show about Railroads Along the Upper Mississippi River was very well done.  I also enjoyed Mike Schafer and Craig Willett's "Before We Were Geezers" program.  Growing up in Northern Illinois it was great seeing some vintage images from that neck of the woods.  Thanks to Vic, Annie and the whole Winterail crew for all the work that goes into organizing a show like this.  Much appreciated.

Winterail's 40th anniversary show is March 17, 2018 in Corvallis, OR and I'm already planning to be there.   Highly recommend you put it on your calendars too.

- Norm



Date: 03/20/17 07:47
Re: 39th Winterail
Author: BAB

Met three fellows coming back from there yesterday touring Train Mountain here in Chiloquin hope they enjoyed it. Told one fellow who I know and lives here to take my units out if his didnt start.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1062 seconds