Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Altamont-WP to UP


Date: 03/19/17 12:45
Altamont-WP to UP
Author: casavoye

This should likely be posted to the Nostalgia Board, but I am starting to appreciate the changes us older heads have seen over the years. I was talking to fellow TO member JamesSchlinger who "marveled" at the fact I had actually RODE the California Zephyr..Well I may be older, but I still can remember a few things !!! ( for now ) I was going through my stuff and remember how the F units from WP passenger service were moved to the daily Stockton Milpitas Turn. I found a few shots for those of us who are old enough to remember and a couple near the same photo spots for those who are too "young" to remember!! Hope these bring back a few good memories. 

Photo 1: WP 916 leads a quartet of F units westbound on the SJT ( if I remember ! ) 
Photo 2: This could actually go on the Nostalgia side too as this is the KOAMN when it use to run via Altamont

A couple more to follow. 

Chip Savoye
Lafayette, CA






Date: 03/19/17 12:48
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: casavoye

Photo 3: Same WP SJT a few miles to the East at Altamont Pass
Photo 4: The UP equivalent of the SJT the MRVSJ near the same spot at Altamont 

Chip Savoye
Lafayette, CA






Date: 03/19/17 13:33
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: gonx

Great shots!



Date: 03/19/17 13:53
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: AlcoRSD15

Love it!  Altamont is still fairly unfrequented, so it's good to see some newer UP photos as well as the old WP ones.
- Eric B.



Date: 03/19/17 18:13
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: JamesSchlinger

Haha. I was just impressed you rode it, but don't know that I marveled at it.
Great shots as usual and thanks for sharing. I miss the koamn running altamont after the morning ACE parade had passed. I believe it switched over to the Cal P around the time stacks started going Donner instead of FRC, though it still occasionally went Altamont in 2010. And of course, the symbol itself is gone now, as you know. 

casavoye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I was
> talking to fellow TO member JamesSchlinger who
> "marveled" at the fact I had actually RODE the
> California Zephyr..Well I may be older, but I
> still can remember a few things !!! ( for now )... 


> Photo 2: This could actually go on the Nostalgia
> side too as this is the KOAMN when it use to run
> via Altamont
>
> A couple more to follow. 



Date: 03/19/17 20:08
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: SantaFeRuss

Casavoye, nice then and now pictures! I like that photo of the Western Pacific b-unit with the headlight and number boards. Rare catch!

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android



Date: 03/19/17 20:17
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: PHall

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casavoye, nice then and now pictures! I like that
> photo of the Western Pacific b-unit with the
> headlight and number boards. Rare catch!
>
> SantaFeRuss
>
> Posted from Android

Not rare on the WP. All of the freight B-Units had that steam locomotive headlight on the roof. They didn't have the "normal" EMD back up lights.
Just a normal inexpensive WP solution to a problem.



Date: 03/19/17 20:31
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: SantaFeRuss

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SantaFeRuss Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Casavoye, nice then and now pictures! I like
> that
> > photo of the Western Pacific b-unit with the
> > headlight and number boards. Rare catch!
> >
> > SantaFeRuss
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Not rare on the WP. All of the freight B-Units had
> that steam locomotive headlight on the roof. They
> didn't have the "normal" EMD back up lights.
> Just a normal inexpensive WP solution to a
> problem.

You're right about the WP B-units and the lights being common. I was referring to the pictures of them being somewhat rare. Good to this series of photos.😀

SantaFeRuss



Date: 03/20/17 20:28
Re: Altamont-WP to UP
Author: CPRR

I like before and after type photos. Is anything being done with the ROW? Could it be used again if another railroad wanted to?

Posted from iPhone



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0683 seconds