Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PHL Leased GP22ECO Chase

Date: 03/20/17 13:30
PHL Leased GP22ECO Chase
Author: erielackawanna

A friend and I headed down to the Habrbor (LA/Long Beach) yesterday in hopes of catching the Progress Rail rebuilt Geep that's just arrived down there. Unfortunatley it was sitting idle in the engine facility, but there was one local working with interesting power. The GP22ECO that's been on lease for quite a few months now was working the YPSW24 switch job (which used to go to Reyes Spurs - anyone know if this has changed?).

Had a nice little chase as after working KPac the unit came back light down to the Wilmington Wye, heading into Berth 200 and picked up some cars for Amerigas and then ran up and down the Gaffey Sub.

First three images are the rosters that I was able to get from them wying the engine.  The railfan gods were with me here as I just managed to get in position for the last two shots by seconds.

Image one, heading south on the Long Beach Sub, north of the wye, south of Dolores.

Image two, coming back on the wye (still the Long Beach Sub).

Image three, now on the Wilmington Lead, about to cross Anaheim.  

Date: 03/20/17 13:33
Re: PHL Leased GP22ECO Chase

Image four is of the light engine passing over the Henry Bridges grade crossing.

Image five is on the West Basin Lead, as the engine pulls a string of Amerigas cars.

Image six is the same location - just a closer shot (RAILFAN WARNING - I had to remove wire shadows off this photo)

Date: 03/20/17 13:38

Image seven is on the Gaffey Lead now as they shove into Amerigas. For those who saw my pics last week of the terrilby tagged UP Gensets on the Torrance local, this is actually the other end of that line (although there is a long stretch between with no track in it anymore).

Image eight is of the train heading back to the yard with its pulls. I think I watched a drug deal go down while I waited for the train here. Warning for other railfans, watch yourself in this area.

Image nine is a horrific quality pic I took of this same engine in KearnyNJ on April 7, 1977 (it has the red C).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 22:16 by erielackawanna.

Date: 03/20/17 14:41
Author: icancmp193

Excellent graffiti. Very professionally done!

Tom Y

Date: 03/20/17 17:49
Author: funnelfan

I wonder if that is a former DRGW unit?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/20/17 17:52
Author: irhoghead

Pretty sad that they had to put a cage around the horn.

Date: 03/20/17 20:12
Author: SCKP187

Great series and info---good shots all. That is a neat looking unit.  Thanks for showing.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/20/17 22:25
Author: redneckrailfan

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if that is a former DRGW unit?

Nope, no DRGW heritage here. EMDX #7101 was rebuilt from KCS GP40-2 #2836 which started life as Penn Central GP40 #3173.  Carried several other road numbers during its life on KCS as well. It picked up and eventually lost the gyralight during its life as a KCS unit.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 03/21/17 12:19
Author: usmc1401

Picture four is Harry Bridges but I still call it "B" St.

Date: 03/21/17 16:42
Author: MP555

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friend and I headed down to the Habrbor (LA/Long
> Beach) yesterday in hopes of catching the Progress
> Rail rebuilt Geep

This was all EMD.  They intoduced the 710ECO before the acquisition by Progress Rail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds