Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rail Grinder at Night

Date: 03/20/17 19:10
Rail Grinder at Night
Author: jdln

Last Friday afternoon I caught a rail grinder parked at Black Rock, Utah taking on water, etc. I drove through the area again last night (Sunday) and found the grinder in action heading east on the Sharp Sub near Leamington, so I pulled over to watch it as it passed. The sirens heard in the video are from the train.

This is quite a sight to see in person, especially at night!

Shot with my iPhone in the dark in a windy canyon, so the video doesn't do it full justice, but hopefully this conveys what it's like to see a rail grinder working at night.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/20/17 20:14
Re: Rail Grinder at Night
Author: vegasrails

Wow nice catch, great idea using your Iphone

Date: 03/20/17 20:45
Author: czuleget

I like that fact you used the I phone how does one down lad the video.? In the past I have a hard time just posting picture.

Date: 03/20/17 20:59

I ended up transferring it to my iPad and using the non-mobile version of the site to upload. 

Date: 03/21/17 05:25
Author: atsf121

Great catch, interesting to see it in operation.  It's moving at a faster clip than I would have expected.  

Nathan

Date: 03/21/17 09:38
Author: Utah5005

Such an awesome sight. The siren may have actually been from the cement plant. A friend of mine has tripped off the siren when he got close to the plant before.

Posted from iPhone

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

Date: 03/21/17 12:08

Utah5005 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Such an awesome sight. The siren may have actually
> been from the cement plant. A friend of mine has
> tripped off the siren when he got close to the
> plant before.
>
> Posted from iPhone

That could be; I was pretty close to the plant. 
My uncle use to work there, I'll ask him about the siren.

Date: 03/23/17 08:12
Author: rrman6

It's agreed here...a good catch!  Now I wonder if anyone has the details of the process.
I realize the train grinds the head of the rail to a specific contour and assume it's primarily the top surface, eliminating deformities from locomotive wheel slips, etc.  Here's my questions!
1.  How many grinding stones per car for both rails?
2.  How is the stone regulated, that is, is it by the weight of the stone and driving mechanism or is it sensor regulated intending to remove "x" amount ten thousanth's inch per wheel?  I'd assume the latter.
3.  Are the wheels aligned to grind the top surface to the original rail design including the small radial portion on the the wheel flange side?
I've always understood the contact area between wheel and rail basically is designed to ride on an area "near the diameter of a dime".

Date: 03/23/17 08:19
Author: nhiwwrr

Que the calls to local police:

"Oh my God, there's a train on fire behind my house!"

Nice catch!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds