Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Video "outtake" may have some appeal for U.P. fans, others

Date: 03/21/17 19:22
Video "outtake" may have some appeal for U.P. fans, others
Author: JoCoLB

I thought I was getting ready for a Union Pacific Railroad officer special to charge out of Paola, Kan., early Tuesday afternoon after it had crossed a  BNSF/UP interlocker.

As I arrived at my location, I became a bit surprised, however.  The 18-car special slowed to a stop rather than accelerate past my trackside spot.  As it turned out, one crewman on the lead engine climbed off and a new crewman climbed on a couple of minutes later.

I had heard earlier that some riders at the rear of the train were to be swapped at Paola but I had no idea that an employee switch on the power would be made at the North Mulberry Street crossing. 

This is not the best video clip in the world but I thought some fans would be interested in knowing things don't always go as planned for an ol' guy with a camera. You do get to see some nice clean power that was featured on this U.P. special. 

(Video by Larry Byers) 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/21/17 19:40
Re: Video "outtake" may have some appeal for U.P. fans, others

Looks to me like there are a couple of antenna-like devices atop the cab of the lead engine but do not exist on the second locomotive. Anyone have a good explanation? 

Date: 03/21/17 20:23
Author: tracklight

The antennas transmit a head end video feed to the rear inspection car.  Almost all UP biz trains get these temporary antennae installed on the head end power.

Date: 03/21/17 20:27

Thanks. Now I know the rest of the story. I'll be looking for those devices the next time I see an officer special. 

Date: 03/21/17 20:48
Author: MojaveBill

With these guys getting off and on, is this a MofW special?

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/22/17 00:14
Author: WP805A

Yes these Trains are for UP engineering officials just like retired Bill Wimmer used to use the up 6936 on the specials .

Posted from Android

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds