Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winter LA Harbor & Vicinity Action

Date: 03/25/17 09:12
Winter LA Harbor & Vicinity Action
Author: rbmn5022

Time more another round of PHL/BNSF/UP shots, this time starting in January. I recently moved a little closer to the action, so it's been easier to find excuses to get trackside on my downtime. One cool thing about this area with the amount of north/south running is there's a lot of angles that only work in certain months of the year, so there's always new stuff to try.

1.) My first train of the year was UP ITSCLX, an extra from the ITS terminal at Long Beach bound for Landers Yard near Chicago. They're seen winding through CP-Gaspgur on the PHL Long Beach Sub. The train is occupying one of the mains here which take trains to the Alameda Corridor, while the "AB-1" and "AB-2" Leads to Terminal Island are seen on the right. Further over to the right is the lead to UP's Mead Yard. In the background in the City of Long Beach. The train departed a little too early for any light, but you can't win em all!
2.) The 741 local heads south through Lawndale with solid ATSF power. 

3.) A week later, the train has a GP60 with a rebuilt cab leading at the same location.

Date: 03/25/17 09:15
Re: Winter LA Harbor & Vicinity Action

4.) Everyone's favorite UP power shoves the LOW10 Torrance Local into its namesake City.
5.) Another perspective.
6.) Out of pure luck, the LOW20 El Segundo Local is seen crossing the BNSF diamond at El Segundo.

Date: 03/25/17 09:19

7.) LOW20 and BNSF Y-WAT1041 are seen similtaneous switching El Segundo.
8.) A rare SD70M leader on LOW20 passes the Hawthorne wigwag eastbound.
9.) A fresh rebuilt GP60M-3 leads the 741 job through Lawndale. These things look nice when they're clean though it's a shame we're losing some of the little variety BNSF offers in SoCal.

Date: 03/25/17 09:22

10.) A PHL "BNSF Dock Job" pulls out of Pier B Yard and onto the Long Beach Sub at CP-Gaspur. Their next stop is NYK on Terminal Island, where the crew will use this and another cut to build an outbound BNSF stack train.
11.) The YPUP05 crew pulls towards the ATCA storage tracks at Carson to set out an outbound intermodal. On the left is UP's massive Dolores engine servicing facility.
12.) On another day, YPUP05 shoves a train to Yang Ming via the West Basin Lead in Wilmington.

Date: 03/25/17 09:25

13.) YPSW08 comes into Watson Yard to pick up an outbound train as some BNSF power awaits their next assignments.
14.) The 0800 Switcher returns to Berth 200 via the McFarland Street trackage.
15.) A Watson Shuttle crew brings a stack train down the Harbor Sub and into West Carson just after sunrise.

Date: 03/25/17 09:29

Last group!

16.) During one of the many rainy days we had this winter, the 1400 Switcher drills out inbound UP autos at CP-Banning with one of the region's massive refineries in the background.
17.) Power off an empty slab train heads up McFarland.
18.) The Y-WAT9601-04C heads over Main St. in Carson with the S-LPCLBE1-23L train in tow coming out of storage from Alcoa. The 960 Shuttle would take the train to the newish LBCT facility on Pier E in Long Beach for unloading.

Date: 03/25/17 10:09
Author: AJnCorrie

Nice...

Date: 03/25/17 10:19
Author: lamta_jay

Never thought I would say this but......I kind of miss the Trains and Rails
of Southern California...Thanks for posting and keeping me up to date
​on whats going on down there.

​Been gone since 2001 and WAS glad to leave for the Pacific Northwest
but SoCal as I call it will always be home to me and my wife. Our last
​residence before we moved was Gardena, just 2 blocks off Vermont !

Thanks for posting !

​Jay Roberts

Date: 03/25/17 13:49
Author: SoCalCynic

Thanks for a great set of pictures; numbers one and eleven were taken a quarter mile from my last job site. Anyone else foolish enough to deliberately drive down Pier B Street around 6:00 p.m. to watch PHL push autoracks into Toyota, blocking the street to do so?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/25/17 13:50
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the very intersting series! Very enjoyable to an ex-SoCal resident.

Larry 

Date: 03/25/17 16:17
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 03/25/17 18:02
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding coverage of the South Bay area. Very nice catch of the Torrance taking everything down the end of track.
JB

Date: 03/26/17 05:23
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 03/26/17 20:15
Author: chessie5882

I visit there in 2003, Still looks really interesting with all the industrial scenes, Nice shots!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds