Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF SD40-2 Cab Modifications

Date: 03/25/17 21:04
BNSF SD40-2 Cab Modifications
Author: WAMXGUY

Was out and about Wichita last Thursday (23 March) and caught the Wichita - Newton - Wichita Road Switcher Power at the North (RR East) end of Wichita Yard.  When processing my pictures noticed that two of the loco have major modifications on the cab roof.  In the case of the 1956, the number boards have been extended forward and now overhang the cab windshield.  Are these additions solar panels, antennas, or what?  What is their purpose?

Date: 03/25/17 21:24
Re: BNSF SD40-2 Cab Modifications
Author: Quakerengr

New location of PTC equipment
Quakerengr

Date: 03/25/17 22:37
Author: PHall

This is what happens when you have Cab Air Conditioners, PTC and Remote Control (Belt Pack) Equipment all on the same locomotive.
You run out of cab roof space!

Date: 03/25/17 23:13
Author: TCnR

Seems like there is five or six versions of this idea. First time I've seen the extended number board housing.

Date: 03/26/17 02:02
Author: Hookdragkick

There is a geep on here with the ext. numberboards. Interesting arrangements but ugly as f@%$!. I want to say the 1759 was assigned to Winslow.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/17 04:06
Author: jointauthority

It looks a lot better when they paint it orange to match the engine.

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a geep on here with the ext.
> numberboards. Interesting arrangements but ugly as
> f@%$!. I want to say the 1759 was assigned to
> Winslow.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/17 09:00
Author: PHall

Looks like they're still in the "experimental" stage trying to find a configuration that works.

Date: 03/26/17 10:24
Author: jtwlunch

Hard to imagine Radio Shack went bankrupt with this collection of parts on the roof.

Date: 03/28/17 04:55
Author: UPTRAIN

Amazingly some railroads have figured out how to install all of this crap without turning their locomotives into something resembling a child piling on all his spare LEGO blocks when they were finished building.  Hopefully it functions properly or is serviced easily, beacause these just look rediculous. 

Pump

Date: 03/28/17 05:05
Author: jointauthority

Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back this time.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds