Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > When a number rings a bell

Date: 03/26/17 17:22
When a number rings a bell
Author: wko

A little while ago, our home computer's screensaver was flipping through pictures when a photo came up from September 23, 2014. It was of a northbound manifest on BNSF's Front Range Subdivision, taken just north of Loveland, CO. The power on this train was BNSF 5506, CEFX 3127, NS 8985, and NS 9649. Something was bugging me about one of those locomotives, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Either way, I sat on it and continued about after enjoying the nice picture.
~wko

Date: 03/26/17 17:22
Re: When a number rings a bell

Shortly after seeing that photo, I was scanning my photos from our trip to the Montana Rail Link in 2003. To pass the time while doing that, I was looking at my scanned photos from our trips in 2006 and 2005. That's when that bugging me finally went away. While waiting in Livingston, MT, in 2005 for the LM to depart with MRL 371, MRL 390, and MRL 215, a Pasco-Laurel train came off Bozeman Pass with BNSF 124, BNSF 155, and CEFX 3127. I immediately knew I had to look up the number of the CEFX I saw on that FRS northbound in 2014, and sure enough it was the same!

So here's the PasLau from 12 years ago. It's rather amazing how locomotives get around, especially a leaser in this day and age of the recession, stored power, and the class 1s ordering so many new units. For those wondering, CEFX was formerly SP 7458 (which I can tell you, for a fact, I 100% never saw it then).

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

Date: 03/26/17 20:16
Author: eatontm

There was still some absurd stuff running around on mainline BNSF trains in 2005, like GP60M's!

Did you guys make it to the semaphores in 2005?

What was the C&S train with Boeing, H-KCKPAS reroute?

Cool post!

T

Date: 03/27/17 13:01

eatontm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was still some absurd stuff running around
> on mainline BNSF trains in 2005, like GP60M's!
>

And in Montana, that lasted even longer! It was a good place to be into the gevo era.

> Did you guys make it to the semaphores in 2005?
>

Unfortunately, no. The furthest west we made it was Garrison, we wanted to hang around Mullan. Met Plets Express, who was filming his Montana Rail Link DVD there! If you know when and where to look, you can see me briefly in a shot.

> What was the C&S train with Boeing, H-KCKPAS
> reroute?
>

That's my thought, but note I didn't put a symbol down. I found a picture on rrpicturearchives.net of the lead 3 locomotives (that's all it showed, I'm assuming the 4th was there, too) in Kansas City 3 days prior. If they wouldn't have had a slow order between 64 and 65 I wouldn't have gotten them, as I saw the boeing cars through the cracks between the houses and blasted out for it.

> Cool post!
>
> T

Thanks!
~wko

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds