Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > California Zephyr

Date: 01/04/04 15:47
California Zephyr
Author: CANUCK

Just one of those lucky days!
On December 18, 2003 I stopped to visit one of my dealers in Redwood City, CA whose office is located near the Redwood City docks. This is the southernmost point ocean going ships can travel in San Francisco Bay.
As I was leaving I came across this wonderful piece of railroad history from the California Zephyr parked on a spur in the dock area.
The car appeared to be in excellent shape at least from the outside. The neon "drum head" is fully intact. Though it was not operating at the time I saw it, it looked ready to “light up”.
I do not know why the car was parked there nor who owns it but it certainly was a treat to see. A week later on the afternoon of Christmas Day, it and the Pullman sleeper parked next to it were gone.

Happy New Year

Brian

Date: 01/04/04 16:10
Re: California Zephyr
Author: samreeves

That be Roy Wullich's PV, part of his fleet of "Rail Journeys West." Here is the CZ observation on the rear end of the SP 2472 specials from December 2002.

Date: 01/04/04 16:22
Author: DaveE

That would be the Silver Solarium. I had read in an earlier thread that she had moved from the Lenzen area in SJ to a secure area at the Port of RWC.

Here's a link to the Rail Journeys West site http://www.railjourneyswest.com

DaveE

Date: 01/04/04 20:41
Author: vcrail

The cars are not gone, just moved to the other end a ship unloaded 40,000 tons of red s..t, I mean baxaute and we did not want to change their color.

Date: 01/04/04 20:46
Author: TCnR

Saw the ship unloading at the Harbor, two shipmounted cranes with clamshells unloaded the whole ship.

Great looking cars by the way.

Date: 01/04/04 21:30

that ship was almost two weeks unloading, Friday a ship came in to unload 35,000 tons of cement, Saturday one came in to load 20-30,000 tons of scrap steel.

Date: 01/05/04 07:38
Author: SteveD

Bauxite presumably heading for Permanente? If so this cuts out Richmond, will it go uphill by truck or rail?

Date: 01/05/04 08:46
Author: CZ10

Unfortunately, the bar/lounge under the dome was converted into a stateroom. Of the 7 CZ dome/obs, only the Silver Crescent, at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami, Fl, remains in it's original configuration and appearance!

Date: 01/05/04 08:56

truck

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds