Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > FBOX's Out West

Date: 01/05/04 20:25
FBOX's Out West
Author: shed47

Have recently been spotted wandering the right coast per the Eastern Discussion Board:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,663651,663651#663651
.....but sighted one today here out west. FBOX502303 on UP's MRVSJ late this afternoon at Newark, CA. Any info on builder(s) and number series appreciated.

Date: 01/05/04 20:47
Re: FBOX's Out West
Author: NI030

Shed, We must have just missed each other because I saw this same train rolling through Newark this afternoon and saw this shiny new car myself. I did not shoot this train however since I was not in position. I was driving in my car. I did however shoot this Capitol which the MSJRV was waiting for at Shinn.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=45152

That wasnt you down at the Fremont Yard earlier in the day shooting the HLCX units was it?

Date: 01/05/04 22:42
Author: espeeboy

and I saw this same train hitting the coastline through Elmhurst early this afternoon too but no time to stop for pics since I was on the way to see the Doc. Ain't this a small world!

Date: 01/06/04 07:40
Author: foamer

I have not seen any of these, all of the TTX boxes I have seen have had TBOX reporting marks, wonder why these are different.

Foamer

Date: 01/06/04 07:52
Author: gmojim

TBOX's are new 60ft boxcars and FBOX is a 50ft car

gmojim

Date: 01/06/04 09:36
Author: CShaveRR

Nice photo! I haven't seen any numbered nearly that high around here (Chicago area), and we usually get the first crack at new equipment.

Builder: National Steel Car (Hamilton, Ontario) on these. If you look at the classification stencilled on the car (XNH-50), the "N" stands for National Steel Car.

Series: 600 cars, 502000-502599.
There's another FBOX series of slightly different cars; they'll be numbered 504000-505399 (1400 cars). Haven't seen or heard of any of those appearing yet, nor do I know who will be building them.

TTX has also been assigned reporting marks IBOX.
I can't wait to find out what that's going to be for.

Date: 01/06/04 10:50
Author: BNSFCSX

These cars are also high cubes. If I remember the TBOX is standard height,isn't it?

BNSFCSX

Date: 01/06/04 11:44
Author: CShaveRR

No, the TBOX cars are also high-roof cars, with white-painted excess-height areas on the ends.

Date: 01/06/04 13:25

Okay, I couldn't remember. I've got both of Athearns Genesis offering of them sitting down at the hobby store. I've heard they look great,but haven't gotten down to pick them up yet. Thanks

BNSFCSX

Date: 01/06/04 13:33

Know I figured out what is so different about these other then the length of course !! I went back in archives and the TBOX doesn't have the horizontal bracing between all of the verticals
that the FBOX has. I wonder if this IBOX mentioned would be a waffle side then ?? Both are neat looking boxes as would a waffle side.
I'm thinking though these horizontal braces are probably doing the same thing as far as strengthening the sides as the waffling does.

BNSFCSX

Date: 01/06/04 23:48
Author: Robbman

Different bracing, length, etc...

How have you guys missed an entire door? :P

TBOX's are 60' EH double door, FBOX's are 50' EH single door

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds