Home Open Account Help 165 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ft. Madison Live-Cam

Date: 01/19/04 10:54
Ft. Madison Live-Cam
Author: lynnpowell

What railroads pass in front of the Ft. Madison Live-Cam? I looked on the Topo-Zone map, and it shows CB&Q and AT&SF only, which would be BNSF today. I just saw an autorack train pass the camera with three UP units for power. Does UP have trackage rights? Is the UP train detouring?

Date: 01/19/04 11:08
Re: Ft. Madison Live-Cam
Author: millerdc

UP received trackage rights out of the BN/ATSF merger.

Date: 01/19/04 12:15
Author: SW1200

What is the link to this camera? Thanks.

SW1200

Date: 01/19/04 12:34
Author: Q-GP30

www.livetrains.com

Date: 01/19/04 22:03
UP Auto train on BNSF
Author: railscenes

The Auto train is one of the trains that UP managed to take from the old Santa Fe route from the IHB, Blue Island-McCook, IL connection west to El Paso, TX. I worked that pool out of Ft Madison until it was transfered to the joint BNSF pool working out of Galesburg. BNSF did not give the vehicle trains good handling so would guess dilivery time became unpredictable. Maybe UP just under bid the BNSF?
SP actually started using the Santa Fe route during the '93 Flood. They found one of the best kept secrets in the rail industry that the Santa Fe had the best route from Chicago west on the Illinois Division thru Ft Madison, Iowa to KC.
UP aquired trackage rights into Chicago using either the Burlington Route or the Santa Fe with the BN-ATSF takeover in 1995. The UP prefers the Santa Fe route for trains running to their SP-UP intermodal yard between Ashland & Halsted St, Chicago Produce Terminal (CPT) that they access off the former GM&O/IC route from Joliet. Then they also run the auto train thru McCook and the other new pig train they snagged from BNSF to the CSX at Bedford Park, IL. Other UP trains can be routed on/off the ATSF over the CB&Q via the new Cameron, IL Wye into the UP Global yards near Union Ave in Chicago.
Never have kept exact score but there seems to average about 3 UP trains each way in 24 hours. Sometimes more.
It has been a great spot to watch trains with a very wide variety of power and types of trains. With frequent trains it is possible to even enjoy a meal across the street from the tracks and not miss a train. The web camera is best if controlled with a computer connected via a high speed cable or wireless. There is also a steam locomotive, Santa Fe 2913, and the two old depots visable from the web cam. I don't need the web cam 'cause I use windows. At least the second floor windows from my house, that is.
Inspector Gadget

Date: 01/20/04 04:40
Re: UP Auto train on BNSF
Author: trailerjet

Hey how much traffic is running on the BN line threw here?
Dave

Date: 01/20/04 05:11
Re: UP Auto train on BNSF
Author: mwjones

Ft. Madison is on the old AT&SF Transcon, and is a major Mississippi River crossing. Based on what leaves Kansas City, it should see 60-80 trains per day.

Mike Jones
http://kcrails.otsc.com
Lenexa, Kansas

trailerjet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey how much traffic is running on the BN line
> threw here?
> Dave

Date: 01/20/04 05:18
K-line traffic-north end
Author: Q-GP30

two freights per day to and from Des Moines to the yards at West Quincy. Most of it is haulage traffic for NS from Des Moines but they do make pick-ups and setouts at Keokuk and Burlington as needed. Coal traffic used to be heavy but is lighter now as the coal is routed east to Galesburg and then down to West Quincy and on to St. Louis. This came about a few years back when none of the newer crew members in the WQ-Burlington pool would work over Christmas (of course most of the guys with whiskers had vacation then). BNSF yanked most all the coal and sent it via Galesburg (Sources at BNSF state this added 200 miles and several thousand gallons extra fuel use to the coal trains).

Every once in a while you will catch a grain extra heading south to St. Louis on this line.

The south end of the K-line from WQ to St. Louis is always busy with about 7 trains each way per day not including the two locals (WQ-Hannibal-WQ, WQ-Louisiana-WQ).

Also UP has not run any trains on their former SPCSL route via West Quincy since the Niota wreck a few years back sent everyone down the old BN to KC. At one time the SP had 44 two man crews running out of WQ and now there is one crew assigned but they run up on the transcon.

Regards
Q-GP30

Date: 01/20/04 09:53
Re: K-line traffic-north end
Author: madsek01

Q-GP30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Coal traffic used to be heavy but is
> lighter now as the coal is routed east to
> Galesburg and then down to West Quincy and on to
> St. Louis. This came about a few years back when
> none of the newer crew members in the
> WQ-Burlington pool would work over Christmas (of
> course most of the guys with whiskers had vacation
> then). BNSF yanked most all the coal and sent it
> via Galesburg (Sources at BNSF state this added
> 200 miles and several thousand gallons extra fuel
> use to the coal trains).
>
Not questioning your knowledge Q-GP30. I always enjoy your posts from your neck of the woods, but the K-Line still doesn't have the coal trains to St. Louis back? When visiting my family in Burlington, IA last August the K-Line was hopping with coal. I was there for only a weekend and maybe other factors were at work during that short time.

Isn't there a power plant south of Fort Madison along the line too.

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0914 seconds