Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Night Photography is the Most Relaxing

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/29/04 16:10
Night Photography is the Most Relaxing
Author: schmo

I find that night photography is the most relaxing. Doesn't have the usual distractions that diurnal photography has, and you're essentially painting with light, which is a real kick. Q: What do you think?

--Steve Schmollinger

Date: 01/29/04 16:27
Re: Night Photography is the Most Relaxing
Author: mococomike

If I could only master it. Was that taken with a 35MM or digital?

Date: 01/29/04 16:45
Author: mdo

Brilliant!!!,
Photo Bob and Don Winslow, take note.
MDO

Date: 01/29/04 16:53

You're right, it takes a little practice to get the exposure right for the conditions and the film you're using. I've attached another photo where flash was mixed with available light at dusk.

--Schmo

Date: 01/29/04 17:26
Author: CimaScrambler

I'd like to try more twilight light. However, moonlight is my favorite.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome/LunarLight/moonlight_gallery/pages/2003-01-04-18.htm

- Kit

Date: 01/29/04 18:13
Author: fjc

I agree, night photography is fun and more challenging than daylight photography.

Here, HLCX 503 is at South San Francisco, while train #97 breezes by on the mainline.

Show with Canon EOS D60, 28-135mm.

Date: 01/29/04 18:17

Here's another, 3833 at South San Francisco, idling on industrial trackage while contractors unload dirty dirt.

Date: 01/29/04 18:24

Couldn't resist one more, ABS signal.

Date: 01/29/04 19:27
Author: highplainsdrifter

Those are some very nice shots, guys. Ditto on the extra challenge of night time photography. I've been inspired by several nice shots I've seen on this site to finally start some after dark stuff of my own. Btw, that shot of the signal is extra cool. Here's a southbound UP rail train hitting the BNSF diamond in Vinita, OK at 5:56 a.m. It was taken back in Oct. of last year.

Thks,
The Drifter

Date: 01/29/04 20:49
Author: rrnut_99

Awesome photos guys. Night photography is my favorite subject.

L.G.

Date: 01/29/04 21:04
Author: Mgoldman

This is WAY BETTER than the Oddity Photo Contest!

Great Shots, and here I've been watching Simpsons reruns instead!

Date: 01/29/04 21:25
Author: espeeboy

I agree, this IS one of the most relaxing forms of RR photography. Except - it's usually cold, you can't shoot every train, the light sources can sometimes be trickier then mid-summer sun and worst thing if all if you know a train is going to make a short stop then there is major pressure and your heart beat or fast pulse can mess up the time elapse shot! If I only shot slide film I would probably have even more strain from not wanting to waste film. With digital photography I can shoot 10-20 shots (even 50!) of just one scene and review the image to make sure it comes out right.

Emeryville station 2 months ago. Railfan_girlfriend Anna was saving me a seat in the across-the-street movie theater watching ther previews start before "Kill Bill" started while I "grabbed" these shots of the MWCPD getting a new crew. The lead unit had been isolated so I got to witness the new crew start her up. This was so cool to witness live but unfortunately did not convey the sound and smell into the 8 second still shot like I thought it would...

Date: 01/29/04 21:42
Author: PasadenaSub

Incredible shots posted here on this thread!

I've only just recently tried my hand at night photography, and have had a few 'beginner's lucky' results, along with lots of 'try-agains'. Just old-fashioned low-tech stuff, a Pentax 35mm manual-focus camera with 50mm lens and Kodachrome 64 on a bulky tripod and cable release.

Here's a southbound train doing a 'Ray Gun' immitation on the UP Mojave Sub between Edison and Sandcut, CA on the evening of 11/13/03. I love how the exposure paints each beam from the headlights seperately.

Rich

Date: 01/29/04 22:33
Author: waykuhl

I could not agree more with the above statements. The picture below was taken way above the Tehachapi Loop on a very cold night back in 2001.

Scott

Date: 01/29/04 22:38
Author: espeeboy

Scott - nice ya got a foamer mobile in that super long Loop night shot. Don't tell me that was your place to stay for the night and ya hiked all the way up there in the dark for the shot...

Date: 01/29/04 22:42
Author: anaheim-al

ahh yes... a nice cool breeze to chill the bones. How'bout Devore in the chill of a November early morning with the typical 20 mph wind before 6:00am.

Little things like flashlights, gloves and silks make all the difference !!

Great thread Steve.

Date: 01/29/04 23:47

Ah yes, the cold that goes right through you. Ever a pleasure! But I find that once I get into the "rythym" of a night shoot, I start to forget about the elements. One exception to this, however, is when lightning is close and you're standing as far away from the METAL tripod as you can to infintesimally lower the odds of getting zapped by 50,000 amps. An example of what I mean is attached--although it was taken with a medium telephoto.

--Schmo

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/30/04 05:48

Here's another example where the photographer was somewhat intimidated by the power from above while taking the night-time exposure. You tend to forget that you're cold or warm or sweaty or whatever when these bolts are crashing down not too terribly far from your location.

--Schmo

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/30/04 09:56
Author: RyanWilkerson

Here's my contribution along with a couple dozen more night shots on my website:
http://www.shastarails.com/photos/photolist.asp?Category=Night

Below shows UP 2002 at Dunsmuir, CA during a summer 2002 visit. I shot ~50 exposures that night on 3 different types of slide film. The one below was taken on a Tungsten balanced film (Fuji 64T) and really brightened all the dingy yellow lights.

Same location, different film (Fuji Provia F 100)
http://www.shastarails.com/includes/ImageViewer.asp?PhotoID=2336&Title=%20UP%202001

Fuji Astia 100:
http://www.shastarails.com/includes/ImageViewer.asp?PhotoID=2243&Title=%20UP%202002

-Ryan Wilkerson
http://www.shastarails.com

Date: 01/30/04 15:32
Author: DynamicBrake

Some of the most incredible shots that I've seen on Trainorders, especially the lightning shots!!! Great job guys!!
Kent

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0772 seconds