Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailment inGlenwood Canyon

Date: 02/15/04 11:16
Derailment inGlenwood Canyon
Author: lowwater

Eastbound coal train, six cars reported in the river, may be other cars involved, no injuries. All I know at the moment.

Oops, broke my own cardinal rule! Glenwood Canyon Colorado, UP Glenwood Springs Sub, ex D&RGW mail line.

lowwater

Date: 02/15/04 12:49
Re: Derailment inGlenwood Canyon

Just returned from derailment site, in a part of Glenwood Canyon where impossible to stop on I-70 (especially with smokies all over!<g>) but I got some pics, will post soon.

NO cars in the river, repeat NO cars in the river that I could see. Some coal spilled close to but not in river either. Approx. 12-15 cars involved in three places, also mid-train DPU derailed, lead unit tilting toward river but not dangerously so. No sign of fuel leak from highway.

lowwater

Date: 02/15/04 13:15

Sorry these aren't better. Add to Glenwood Canyon's usual lousy lighting conditions the fact that the Highway Patrol was there to prevent people from stopping and therefore these were taken from the "upper deck" at 50 mph (the speed limit, nevertheless annoying the people behind me, note the bumperstickers in the second frame!).

lowwater

Date: 02/15/04 13:19

Well, obviously I don't know how to post multiple pics. That is the swing help, the westernmost part of the derailment visible from the highway anyway. Here's the next shot east, and I'll post the furthest one east separately.

Date: 02/15/04 13:22

Furthest east (train was eastbound).

Date: 02/15/04 13:29
Re: Derailment in Glenwood Canyon
Author: toledopatch

This ought to have the DRGW closed for a couple of days, no? Access doesn't look too good for derailment cleanup equipment.

Date: 02/15/04 13:39
Author: RebStout

Great shots considering the circumstances. Lucky the entire train didn't end up in the river. Sure does look like difficult clean up.

Date: 02/15/04 14:05
Author: airbrake

lowwater,

Could you possibly post the pics in a place with a link so us not so premium TO members could get a better look at the them? Thanks.

Date: 02/15/04 14:12
Author: SPDRGWMILW

And who was driving while you took your shots? Hopefully you were the only car going the posted speed limit (50).

Great shots, though.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 02/15/04 14:12
Author: mtnwestrail

Thanks for getting the photos, Lowwater. It looks like you could have just stopped in front of that UP truck. HA HA!

At least you could easily turn around at Grizzly and didn't have to go all the way through the canyon! This should be an interesting one to clean up since it is only accessible via rail for miles on both ends of the derailment. Call out the Bond cat pack. ;-]

Paul Birkholz
http://www.mtnwestrail.com

Date: 02/15/04 14:24
Author: westsloperrfan

I drove through the canyon on Friday and noticed they are putting in new signals at the west end of grizzly creek (the signals for the siding). MOW crews were also putting in poles for a new slide fence. They were right along the area with the old stone walls (east of grizzly creek).

Man, two derailments within a few days time. I bet the poor Grand Junction crews aren't moving at all.

Nick

Date: 02/15/04 16:36
Re: Photos of derailment in Glenwood Canyon

airbrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you possibly post the pics in a place with a
> link so us not so premium TO members could get a
> better look at the them? Thanks.

This may not solve your problem completely, but there are a copy of these shots, plus one more over on the DRGW list at YahooGroups. It's also a members only thing, but the membership is free.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DRGW/files/GC_Derailment

~ Paul B

Date: 02/15/04 18:43
Re: Derailment inGlenwood Canyon/crews
Author: KoloradoKid

Actually, the railroad was quite busy today, even sending trains east that would get parked. Wrecker left at 1710 hours. The North Fork moving right along, especially since they are still playing catch up after the Austin Mess. Firday was a real tense day for crews, dispatcher 80, and MofW, all trying to get trains over the railroad and inspect track that needed its daily check.

Amtrak 6 was wyed on the North Fork branch. Not often we see Amtrak on the Colorado River Bridge! 6 became 5 at 1600 hours. Number 5 being wyed at Dotsero, although passengers were being bussed from Kremmling to Grand Junction and Grand Junction to, Denver?. Dotsero is a long way to go to find a wye!

KK

Date: 02/15/04 19:29
Re: Derailment inGlenwood Canyon/crews
Author: upkpfan

Thanks for the info and pictures. Looks like a real night mare of a place to get into to work. Looks like another slow down on traffic on the KP here. upkpfan

Date: 02/15/04 19:30
Author: Ashkicker

It will be interesting to see how they rig to recover the leaning engine. It looks like there will be room on the cliff side to position some side pull dozers, but not a whole lot of space to get good cable block attack angles.

I agree that access to the site will be tough. There are a couple of bridges several miles upstream, but I am not sure they have the load capacity to handle a heavy Cat.

Is this site in the Grizzly Siding?

Date: 02/15/04 19:37
Re: Derailment location in Glenwood Canyon

> Is this site in the Grizzly Siding?

It was reported on the DRGW list that the lead unit of the train was just short of the siding. The derailments are probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the west switch to the Grizzly siding.

~ Paul B

Date: 02/17/04 14:43
Re: Derailment location in Glenwood Canyon
Author: gobbl3gook

Thanks for the pics, Lowwater.

How hard is it to get on the bike path through there? 1 mile walk, 5 mile walk? Would be fun if someone was so motivated to get some shots of the cleanup.

Ted in Davis

Date: 02/17/04 14:48
Re: bike path access...

Probably not more than 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk back from the Grizzly parking area to the derailment locations. However, I have heard that the snow is much deeper this year than in years past which might make that a much longer walk.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY
http://www.mtnwestrail.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds