Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Old EMD 645 20cyl will never die!

Date: 04/16/04 17:53
Old EMD 645 20cyl will never die!
Author: gp60m122

Seen earlier this week westbound departing West Colton .Is the UP really THAT short of power? Maybe not but new life for an old dog as a generating set or maybe it's destined to be refitted to a locomotive?
Anyone know the story on this one?

Andy Goodson

Date: 04/16/04 17:59
Re: Old EMD 645 20cyl will never die!
Author: PasadenaSub

Was this taken this past Wednesday, 4/14? If so, it's probably the same westbound manifest that both T.O. member Sal and I photographed at different locations in Pomona. The train had 4 of these on flatcars about 5 cars behind the power.

Here's my shot of the train, with UP SD60M 2470 leading. I spaced out as the cars passed and didn't get any close-ups of the prime movers :(

Rich

Date: 04/16/04 18:24
Author: gp60m122

Yes it was the same train

Andy

Date: 04/16/04 19:26
Author: Sal

Here are my shots of this train:

http://pages.prodigy.net/salgarcia/pics.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/salgarcia/pics1.jpg

Photographed on Wednesday 04/14/04 at the Pomona Amtrak Depot while waiting for Amtrak #1 (the one that ended up showing up with Hi-Level 39940).

Rich and I were wondering if these were indeed locomotive motors.

Sal Garcia
Pico Rivera, California

Date: 04/16/04 19:27
Author: ddkid

That's probably an industrial engine skid unit. EMD sold a bunch of 20's as industrial engines, as 20-645E4's or S20E9's. They went into power generation service, into dredges and draglines, and even into drilling rigs. That engine likely never saw the inside of a locomotive, though it's also possible that it's a locomotive takeout (from a retired SD45 model) and has a second life as you suggest. It's impossible to destroy an EMD short of cutting it up into little pieces or wadding it up into a ball.

I don't recognize what the engine is coupled up to. It doesn't look like a generator; they tend to be bigger and rounder. Maybe a pump?

Addendum: Sal's post makes it clearer. Those are electrical generators; what you're looking at are industrial electrical power generating units.

Date: 04/16/04 20:28
Author: FECSD40-2

I'd love to see an SD80ACe.

Date: 04/16/04 22:43
Author: cp9122

These engines were in Seattle two weeks ago on Harbor Island.
Apparently, they had come down from Alaska.

Date: 04/18/04 00:12
Re: Old EMD 645 20cyl - foundation framework?
Author: john1082

When mounted in a locomotive, does the engine have that sort of girder framework at the base?

Date: 04/18/04 07:22
Author: MTMEngineer

Essentially, the locomotive frame is constructed of bits and pieces of channel and I beams welded together with a similar box like well in the center into which the engine crankcase is set. Photo shows engine mounting bolts into frame.

Date: 04/19/04 14:41

So what looks like an I-beam box sitting on the floor of the flatcar in the original photo is actually a foundation upon which the prime mover and generator sit and the whole package is lifted up and placed on the locomotive frame?

Sorry I can't frame the question any better than that (no pun intended) but without interactive finger point capability I am somewhat constrained to describe the parts!

"What, a lawyer is speechless?"
"Yes, the money ran out on your meter!"

Regards,

John G

Date: 04/19/04 16:47
Author: MTMEngineer

john1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what looks like an I-beam box sitting on the
> floor of the flatcar in the original photo is
> actually a foundation upon which the prime mover
> and generator sit and the whole package is lifted
> up and placed on the locomotive frame?

No, the frame is welded together into a single rigid unit which has a box shaped well formed into it. The power plant is bolted directly to this frame, without the intermediate mounting/carrying frame you suggested.

Date: 04/19/04 17:17

Many thanks. Makes more sense now.

All I know about photography is a Kodak Instamatic. All I know of live steam is Knotts Berry Farm.

It is the technology of this 'sport' that interests me. And MTM is on the money every time!

John G

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0767 seconds