Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains Along Rivers

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/10/04 16:40
Trains Along Rivers
Author: boomer

The Wind River threads below got me to wondering just how many places there are in Western North America where you can sit down next to a raging river (with rapids) and watch the trains go by? The Wind River Canyon along with the Truckee River west of Reno would be the most obvious examples, with the Feather River Canyon being another. I won't include the Columbia River Gorge as an example here due to the fact that the Columbia River (between Pasco/Portland) is more like a lake than a running river, due to all of the dams, although it is probably about the greatest place around for catching 2 railroads running trains across the river from one another. Sacramento River in California (up in PhotoBob country) would be another example. How about some other good examples?

And yes, I'll bet there are a ton of spots in western Canada where you can catch the CP/CN action next to a large, foamy river...I've got to get up that way...and soon!

Date: 05/10/04 17:09
Re: Trains Along Rivers
Author: MTMEngineer

Twin Cities to LaCrosse.

CP/Amtrak on west bank, BNSF on east.

Date: 05/10/04 17:15
Author: Lloydwilliams

One of the best I've seen is a campground called Big Bend RV Park just out of Libby, Montana. It's right on the Kootenai River on Hwy. 37. A beautiful river and a fully loaded BNSF track right across the water.

LW
Bakersfield

Date: 05/10/04 17:18
Author: KoloradoKid

FWIW, former D&RGW, now UP, Byer Canyon in Colorado. Runs just over 2 miles along Colorado River west of (Hot) Sulphur Springs. Two Amtraks, many UP coal, and some UP manifest and BNSF manifest trains. Highway on South side, RR on North side. Includes a 15 or 16 degree curve in the middle.

Used to be, you could park or follow D&RGW/.SP/UP trains along a lot of miles of the Arkansas River begining jsut west of the Royal Gorge at Parkdale, CO. This is the now mothballed TP line, which also included some riverside running along the Eagle River on the west side of TP.

Also, former D&RGW Glenwood Canyon. Several rest stops on Interstate, plus a bike path the entire 12+ miles of the canyon. Biggest downer is the track is on the south side and the highway are on the north side.

KK

Date: 05/10/04 17:51
Author: zars

I know this is the Western board; but for eastern whitewater and trains, there is the following to consider:

--New River Gorge (National Scenic River Park), West Virgina:
CSXT ex-C&O, east bank between Hinton and Thurmond, WV and both banks between just west of Thurmond (Sewell) to Hawks Nest (Anstead), WV. Very remote along most of its length, but with several former rail lines converted to trails opposite of Thurmond, the New River Gorge arch bridge overlooks, the old road down to the Fayette Station bridge (which crosses the rail line at grade on the east bank-underpass on west) and Hawks Nest State Park overlook.

--Youghiogheny (YOCK-e-gany) River, tributary of Monongehela River, southwest of Pittsburgh. CSXT ex-B&O mainline. The former Western Maryland line on the opposite bank has been converted to a trail.

Branch lines of NS (former CR/NYC/NF&D) along the Gauley River and CSXT (former B&O) along the Cheat River, also in West Virgina (the latter has just been applied for abandonment).

zars

Date: 05/10/04 17:59
Author: CyberFoamer

There are way too many places where trains follow rushing rivers to make a complete list. Here are some of my favorites:
Fraser River and Thompson River Canyons, BC, Canada: CN/CP
Yakima Canyons, on either side of Ellensburg, WA: EX-NP stampede pass line.
Deshutes River Canyon, Oregon: Inside Gateway.
Palouse River and Coulee City, EX-UP moscow branch, between Colfax and Pullman, WA.
Union Pacific "Washy" line at Palouse Falls, WA.
Umatilla Canyon, from Gibbon to Echo, OR: Union Pacific Blue Mountains
Burnt River Canyon, Durkee, OR: Union pacific Blue Mountains.
Skykomish River, Index, WA: Ex-GN Steven's Pass
Jefferson River Canyon, near three forks Mont.: Ex- NP
Kicking Horse River, BC: CP Kicking Horse Pass
BC Rail's line between Pemberton and Squamish, BC has some spectacular canyon railroading.
and of course the MRL along the Clark Fork, between Paradise and Missoula Mont.

There are a few abandoned lines that need a mentioning as well. There is little that can compare with the Kettle Valley Railway's Cocohalla River Canyon at Othello, BC.

Date: 05/10/04 19:14
Author: NDHolmes

You mean something like this one? Good thing my boots were waterproof... Taken just north of Whistler on the BCR mainline, crossing over a small river whose name I can't remember at the moment.

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Date: 05/10/04 19:55
Author: truxtrax

Great shot Nate, like you I don't remember the name. Another spot is BC Rail climbing out of the Fraser River north of Lilloet. Gone but not forgotten, the Eel River on the NWP!

Butch,,,here we go

Date: 05/10/04 21:49
Author: FGS

Boomer,

On the same line, but east of Reno, NV - the lower Truckee River Canyon.

Jimmy B
Reno, NV

Date: 05/11/04 07:01
Author: Alco251

Lesser-known...

--Arkansas & Missouri along Frog Bayou in the Lancaster, Ark, area.
--BNSF (ex-SLSF) along Spring River near Hardy, Ark.
--MRL along Clark Fork River between St. Regis, MT and Hope, Idaho.
--My favorite, MRL 10th Sub east of Paradise, MT.

Date: 05/11/04 09:33
Author: samreeves

Here is a pair of SD90MAC's going upstream on the Sacramento River between Shasta Retreat and Small.

Date: 05/11/04 10:44
Author: FT

As others mentioned, the Fraser River in BC would be about tops. Here is an e/b 5289 with two brand new CR GE's in
demo service in June of '86. The test must have been a success. This was somewhere near Spences Bridge,BC.

Keith

Date: 05/11/04 10:49

As New Jersey has a lack of wild rivers to shoot train pix along,
I say the old PC and Trenton deserve an honorable mention for providing
fans a river to run trains THROUGH. Especially exciting with electric
locos. Trenton, I suppose NJ, as the state isn't listed on the slide.
7-21-75 by Ray Muller.

Keith

Date: 05/11/04 11:08
Author: boomer

Sounds like I forgot to mention quite a few rivers (along tracks) that I should have added on this thread, especially the Deschutes, since I used to work that line to Bend - nice place to view the "scenery." And that Frazier River in BC looks mighty tempting - I've just got to get up there and take a look. Bet there would be some great whitewater rafting as well on there.

Hey FGS, looks like that hotshot needs more power to handle that monster train! As a former Renoite, I was remiss in not mentioning the Truckee River east of town as well. Another one that could be mentioned would be the Yellowstone River in eastern Montana (MRL), although it doesn't appear that there are too many areas of heavy rapids out there.

Thanks for the pics/updates.

Date: 05/11/04 13:48
Author: DPutz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Dan
KB3LDB

Date: 05/11/04 14:29
Author: funnelfan

UP and BNSF along the Columbia River-Columbia River Gorge
MRL along the Clark Fork and Missouri Rivers.
SP/UP along the Willamette River-Willamette River Falls in Oregon City.
BNSF/UP along the Deschutes River-Central Oregon.
BNSF along the Skykomish River-Stevens Pass.
BNSF along the Green and Yakima Rivers-Stampede Pass.
UP along the Snake River-Washy.
UP along the Snake River-east of Huntington.
CORP along Cow Creek.
AERC along the Santiam River-Mill City Line
ex-Camas Prairie along the Snake River.
Pend Oreille Valley along the Pend Oreille River.
St. Maries River RR along it's namesake.
And finally, the BNSF along the Kootenai River shown below.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 05/11/04 16:18
Author: MTMEngineer

Alas, the Milwaukee's electrics along the Musselshell, Sixteen Mile, Silver Bow, Missouri, Clark Fork, and Columbia are all gone :-(

Forever ...

... is a long time

Date: 05/11/04 16:32
Author: locotrol

Wow, I always forget about BNSF along the Kootenai.

I've recently discovered some spots along the Wenatchee River (runs into the Columbia) worth checking out as shown in this photo. If I remember correctly the location in a little park where the Peshasten Creek joins the Wenatchee River. To think for years I've been blasting past this point to get up to Leavenworth for the first westbound shot past Cashmere. It's a great late-afternoon location and the first of many I've discovered along the meandering Wenatchee River. Sure wish I'd been along here when the GN electrics still ran. :) -- Keith T.

Date: 05/11/04 17:14

Keith T,

Another nice spot I have missed in the area. Here is one at Monitor that I
just found after many years of passing it by. A great AM shot.

Keith A

Date: 05/11/04 17:26
Author: NDHolmes

Alco251 has a point - MRL along the Clark Fork can be quite nice as well...

Last summer I spent a few days just outside Paradise, MT, at a small place called Quinns Hot Springs Resort. Small mountain resort based around a little hot springs, and right across the Clark Fork from the MRL, and just down from the junction of the low-grade route through St. Regis and the Evaro main at Paradise. Also some decent fly fishing in the area when you get bored of train - one of my other hobbies...

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0869 seconds