Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Food/Brand names on freight cars?

Date: 07/23/04 13:42
Food/Brand names on freight cars?
Author: UP_Omaha

I was sitting at a crossing the other day and saw this car coming up, made me curious as to how many of this type of car people see running around anymore. I've seen a few cars for Wonder Bread of the same type of covered hopper, but it seems to be rare.

Are there many cars like this with brand names or logos running around?

Date: 07/23/04 15:56
Re: Food/Brand names on freight cars?
Author: rrnut_99

I've seen many Lamb Weston reefers on the UP in Illinois. The Lamb Weston cars are VERY common in Rochelle,IL. Lamb Weston frozen french fries are stocked in grocery stores around here.

Gold Medal flour is advertised on many Airslide covered hoppers.

I've seen the French's and Hostess cars you've mentioned as well.

L.G.

Date: 07/23/04 16:07
Author: GLC

Several years ago, I saw a Brach's Candies airslide hopper at the Coor's brewery in Golden CO

Date: 07/23/04 16:24
Author: TopcoatSmith

There was an "Old Forester" whiskey covered hopper in Vancouver, WA about five years back.

TCS - fruit of the grain

Date: 07/23/04 17:13
Author: espeesGeeps

Thought the ICC banned car side advertising years ago, because if was unfair advertising ?...

Date: 07/23/04 17:15
Author: up833

They banned the use of advertising when used to carry another brand product...like Swift would be provided a Hormel reefer.
Roger B

Date: 07/23/04 19:02
Author: Brunswick

There is no more ICC.

espeesGeeps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought the ICC banned car side advertising years
> ago, because if was unfair advertising ?...

Date: 07/23/04 19:52
Author: catalantalgo

Tropicana has its own fleet of boxcars.
Boise Cascade has its tree symbol on some IBT boxcars as well, I think.

Date: 07/24/04 09:42
Author: DWHonan

Let's not forget the McCain (of french fry fame) logo on some of GATX's 70' cryogenic reefers.

-Dave

Date: 07/24/04 09:50
Author: dash9cw

I have several slides of J R Simplot reefers sitting at the yard Blacksburg, SC going to Stouffer Foods. I have one slide of all all door box car for Armstrong Flooring. In the south, you are able to see lots of kaolin tankers with names such as Georgia Kaolin on the sides.

Date: 07/25/04 23:03
Author: foamer

Saw a Foster Farms PS Covered hopper in the yard the other day, it was patched for SIRX (they are also buying former CNW and UP hoppers), wonder what the FF original reporting marks were?

Foamer

Date: 09/23/14 02:55
Author: Chooch

Use to think that Lionel was the only one who marked their freight cars with manufacturers names but the prototype rendering was certainly far reaching.

Jim

Date: 09/23/14 09:56
Author: Lackawanna484

When liquor deliveries were made by the NYS&W to an online receiver in Hawthorne NJ, the boxcars were always "no name". No point in making the bad guy's job any easier.

But, somehow the bad guys always seem to know which container on a hundred well train has the TV sets and which container has 5,000 plush fur toys. They rarely break into the wrong box.

Date: 09/23/14 10:07
Author: LarryDoyle

I think you will find that all of the cars with such advertising have reporting marks ending with the letter "X", indicating private owners, not railroad owned.

-John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds