Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe Cylindrical Covered Hoppers?

Date: 08/18/04 10:33
Santa Fe Cylindrical Covered Hoppers?
Author: gtirr

Even though I've always liked the Santa Fe, I've never considered myself an "Expert."
So to all of you who are, have you ever seen any Cylindrical Covered hoppers lettered in Santa Fe? Most of the Cylindrical Covered Hoppers I see are only lettered for Canadian roads. I'm looking for the 4-Bay like Intermountain makes.
Thanks,
gtirr

Date: 08/18/04 11:00
Re: Santa Fe Cylindrical Covered Hoppers?
Author: Jack

Yes,
Saw several of them in a Conrail manifest train headed east through Porter,IN-about 1996-7.Don't know if they are still around,BNSF may have sold them or returned them if they were leased.

Date: 08/18/04 11:09
Author: TopcoatSmith

Yes, haven't seen them recently but there were a bunch painted dark blue from Koppel, their lettering was painted out and SF was painted on.

TCS - master cylinder

Date: 08/18/04 13:05
Author: RustedFlange

Santa Fe had two kinds of 4-bay cylindricals:

-the version Bachmann makes in HO - painted gray with black and/or blue lettering. These were leased from North American Car (GE) and have been sent back to NAHX as their leased expired.

-the version (close but not quote) to what Intermountain makes - these are ex-Koppel Grain cars (KPLX) blue with yellow lettering. I say close because these are Marine Industries-built, Intermountain is NSC-built. Some got repainted into new image ATSF brown (small logos), some even got BNSF paint. These cars are now also gone with CEFX marks.

Santa Fe also had some smaller cylindricals (ACF) used for potash loading. TP&W had ACF cylindricals as well (Atlas model) but ATSF didn't inherit (meaning, repaint) those when they bought the TP&W.

Date: 08/19/04 00:06
Author: Evan_Werkema

RustedFlange Wrote:

> Santa Fe had two kinds of 4-bay cylindricals:
>
> -the version Bachmann makes in HO - painted gray
> with black and/or blue lettering. These were
> leased from North American Car (GE) and have been
> sent back to NAHX as their leased expired.

These were the class Ga-904, right?

> -the version (close but not quote) to what
> Intermountain makes - these are ex-Koppel Grain
> cars (KPLX) blue with yellow lettering. I say
> close because these are Marine Industries-built,
> Intermountain is NSC-built. Some got repainted
> into new image ATSF brown (small logos), some even
> got BNSF paint. These cars are now also gone with
> CEFX marks.

Class Ga-907.

> Santa Fe also had some smaller cylindricals (ACF)
> used for potash loading.

These were the class Ga-131?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds