Home Open Account Help 410 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How Has This Afeected Railfanning

Date: 09/13/01 15:03
How Has This Afeected Railfanning
Author: SDP-35

How do you think that this has affected railfanning. I planned
a big trip for Monday to railfan Pine Bluff and Little Rock AR.
Because i'm buying a new video camera and a photo scanner. I
planned to use the whole day. You think that this will affect
us railfans. But the RR has been operating as normal, and I
havent seen any increased police activity( RR or City) I think
that it would be alright. Im goin the extra mile to make sure
that I do not look suspicious or have anything in my possesion
that looks suspicious.(No Camera Bag for me :-(

Remember: Railfanning can be fun.

Date: 09/13/01 15:35
RE: How Has This Afeected Railfanning
Author: NDHolmes

I haven't been out since Sunday (for both professional and personal reasons - working as an analyst for a large airline, it's been a long week), but I've heard that crews aren't taking any chances in terms of calling in people on the property. Personally, I'll probably sneak in a little railfanning time this weekend if any D&RGW power is moving on the Front Range. For the peace-of-mind of the railroads (crews and security forces), I'd stay well back from the property and from any critical structures (bridges, yards, tunnels, major switches, etc). Other than that, if you're well clear and look like just another railfan, I doubt they'll give you much trouble. Worst case, some law enforcement will ask you to move along - hopefully it wouldn't come to that, as it wastes their time and generally annoys the railfan.

Nathan

Date: 09/13/01 16:02
This SHOULD Affected Railfanning
Author: djansson

Just for the heck of it, I recommend that all of us railfans do our fanning from places that have an obvious public perspective, like train stations and other places that are well in keeping with the rest of the public. This is primarily for the benefit of the train crews as well as local and RR law enforcement, who will (no doubt) take a rather dim view of someone skulking around trying to get their unique camera shot of whatever happens to be passing by.

With all the rhetoric about the present National Emergency (and it IS one, no doubt about it), a little common sense is recommended. The same goes for posting obvious rumors ("The entire XYZRR is shut down!!" "All bridges over the Mississippi are out of service!!" "Amtrak Conductors are carrying sidearms!!!") and other nonsense, both here and on other BBs. Just because you haven't seen a train in a few hours or maybe overheard some noise on a scanner, doesn't give you the mandate of becoming Rush Jr. for the moment. Leave the BS to the professionals, ok?

There are just my humble suggestions. Feel free to be as irresponsible or brain-damaged as you want to, but when someone with a badge and handcuffs takes exception and ruins your day DON'T BLAME ME.

Date: 09/13/01 16:38
Cameras and scanners are now suspect
Author: Kushtaka

I must reiterate things WILL continue to change for a while, and any 'abnormal' activity will very likely attract more attention than usual. Especially if you seem to be keeping records of industrial activities. Play it safe.

Date: 09/13/01 16:48
Railfanning as always
Author: LWA

I plan no changes in my railfan activities.

Date: 09/13/01 17:12
RE: Railfanning as always
Author: donner_dude1

I have a vacation scheduled in the Rockies next week, at this point I'm going unless all hell breaks loose abroad. I plan do more telephoto shots and less trackside stuff (if any). I will steer clear of Amtrak and Manifests containing hazmats.

Date: 09/13/01 17:38
RE: Railfanning as always
Author: pumpkinhogger

I was out and about in KC today, and saw not a thing one to keep me from doing any fanning. I wiil NOT be doing any yard drive-throughs, or hanging around any foreign (to me) engine facilities, as I'm sure many of us are able to do on our own turf. Can't imagine that if you were in McCook or Tucumcari or Fostoria that there would be anything to worry about. I saw no rent-a-cops,special agents, or any other evidence of heightened security. I'd probably be pretty careful in the NE tho.

Don't stir it up. Just use your heads. If the PD says go, then go. Stay around public property, keep your handheld scanner from sight, don't be crossin' no tracks and bein' stoopid.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds