Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Farewell to Montana Rockies Rail Tours

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/21/05 10:29
Farewell to Montana Rockies Rail Tours
Author: BobE

A couple of relics in this shot. The train itself, now, and for many years the railroad on the bridge at the frame's right edge.

BobE

Date: 02/21/05 10:45
Re: Farewell to Montana Rockies Rail Tours
Author: funnelfan

Yes, I wil sorely miss that train, the only passenger train (aside from steam special) that I liked to chase. I could care less for Amtrak's Genesis diesels and Superliner cars, but give me this classic passenger train any day of the week! The eastbound version splitting a pair of relics east of St. Regis.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 02/21/05 11:02

Just east of Thompson Falls crossing the Thompson River

Date: 02/21/05 11:05
Thanks for Sharing Montana Rockies Rail Tours
Author: cozephyr

Aye, she was a beauty! She'll be missed. I understand they're evaluating resumption of service. Those folks desire a tip of the old conductors' cap.

Date: 02/21/05 11:26
Re: Thanks for Sharing Montana Rockies Rail Tours
Author: pismobum

Entire trainset was sold to Phil Sheridan and is moving to Gateway (ex ITAC) in St Louis for upgrade/refurbishing to Amtrak standards for future charter work. Whether that 'charter work' includes uture leasing to MRRT remains to be seen.

Date: 02/21/05 11:29
Author: hepkema

The most depressing thing is the F-unit sitting at Sandpoint that we were waiting on to lead the train this season.

rh
SPO

Date: 02/21/05 13:00
Author: RuleG

Ted:

Your photo of the train splitting the semaphores is stunning! Thanks for posting.

I rode on this equipment on a 2003 NP Railway Historical Association trip from Billings to Whitehall to Livingston (buses bought us back to Billings). The high quality of the passenger cars and the enthusiastic staff helped to make this trip one of my favorite excursions.

Dave

Date: 02/21/05 13:14
Author: AK

A rumor on the www.alaskarails.org News Page, says the cars might be headed to Alaska on Lease.

Date: 02/21/05 13:14

I also rode the train on a few occassions, and it was wonderful. Can you really beat views like this? I could post photos all day long of the MRRT.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 02/21/05 13:17
Author: prionw

Beautiful! What is the straight line ahead of the locos? A wall or another train?

Thanks,

WP

Date: 02/21/05 13:25

That's the gravel embankment of Hwy 200.

Date: 02/21/05 14:28
Author: RustyRayls

All I can say about your DOF* is WOW!

* DOF = Depth of Field

Date: 02/21/05 14:28
Farewell to Montana Rockies Rail Tours
Author: tvrha

BobE Wrote:
---------------------------
> A couple of relics in this shot. The train
> itself, now, and for many years the railroad on
> the bridge at the frame's right edge.

The railroad R-O-W, I assume is the ex-Milwaukee Road line, yes? Where is this particular shot at?

Date: 02/21/05 15:33
Author: HoosierVirg

tvrha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BobE Wrote:
> ---------------------------
> > A couple of relics in this shot. The train
> > itself, now, and for many years the railroad
> on
> > the bridge at the frame's right edge.
>
>
> The railroad R-O-W, I assume is the ex-Milwaukee
> Road line, yes? Where is this particular shot at?

I am not positive but it looks like Lombard to me, have a nice aerial picture of it on a picture postcard from 1915 and postmarked Milwaukee Road RPO. You are killing me guys makes me want to get in the truck and head back to Montana now. I have heard that the equipment would be available in 2006 for the MRRT. Sure glad I went out in October and saw the steam run. Have a good and safe day!

Date: 02/21/05 16:09
Author: BobE

tvrha Wrote:
>
> The railroad R-O-W, I assume is the ex-Milwaukee
> Road line, yes? Where is this particular shot at?

Correct....the bridge was the Milwaukee Road main line.

HoosierVirg is correct that this is the legendary Lombard Canyon. Tough to get to...one of the more difficult roads I've ever driven on the north side of the mountain, but a pretty good road on the downward (south) slope. 4x4 with good ground clearance recommended.

BobE

Date: 02/21/05 16:14
Author: nycman

Ted, are those blades still in place? Active? I'm so glad I caught 4449 this past October at least with a single blade.

Date: 02/21/05 17:36

No, those blades fell shortly after the 4449 trip.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 02/21/05 17:42
My Montana Rockies Rail Tours Trip
Author: ChrisG

I did a roundtrip and the link below will get you to it.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Montana.html

Chris

Date: 02/21/05 21:02
Re: RQAX 800269
Author: monaddave

Car RQAX 800269 City of Livingston (ex-CZ Silver Scene dome lounge) departed Sandpoint over the weekend. The rest of the tain set is still there being readied to move at a later date. I understand the 800269 has been marked up for that rare miles trip out of San Deigo in May.
Dave in Msla

Date: 02/21/05 21:45
Author: px320

RQAX 800269 City of Livingston, ne Silver Scene is on its way to ITAC in Madison, IL for a PC-2A. It will also be fitted out with MU connections so it can run on Pacific Surfliner and other trains that operate push - pull.

It is planned to be based in Los Angeles for west coast excursions and charters.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds