Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > HEY!...Lets take a poll.

Date: 02/26/05 19:10
HEY!...Lets take a poll.
Author: trainman_47

To ALL trainorders members....WHICH is the ugliest..The new BNSF paint scheme ( OR ) EMDs new SD-70ace??? Hmmmmm...thats gotta be close. Think my vote goes to BNSF!

Date: 02/26/05 19:28
Re: HEY!...Lets take a poll.
Author: BarstowRick

Voteing: Ugliest - BNSF!!! Ugly since the first Pumpkin arrived.

Voteing: Uglier - New BNSF Logo.

I'l refrain from anyother comments. Think I've stated such at least three times on line here. I am sure Tood already noted the space it was taking up on the Ram.

Voteing: Favorite - BNSF, was the Dark Blue and Cream with the Blue Bonnet on it.

Voteing: Best ever - AT&SF Red & Silver Warbonnet.

RickH

Date: 02/26/05 19:32
Author: MikeUP4014

My vote BNSF Ugliest, I actually like the UP 70ACE. Might as well get used to both as they are here to stay..

Date: 02/26/05 19:50
SD70ACE + BNSF new logo is worst
Author: NH2006

As soon as I see it, my camera may" hang its head and cry*"

* Johnny Cash recurring phrase....

Date: 02/26/05 20:56
That's tough...
Author: gobbl3gook

Heck, tough choice. I think I'll have to wait until I've seen each in real life before making the call... Both of them give promise to be singularly ugly, that's for sure. \

Ted in Davis

Date: 02/26/05 21:17
Author: CarolVoss

I think the new BNSF is pretty bad. I'm a Warbonnet person, even tho I was born and bred on the SP and still live on what WAS the SP and is now the BORG.
C.

Date: 02/26/05 21:30
Author: Anonymous User

I can remember not too many years ago when BNSF first came out with H1 and H2. My god, it was the end of the world. EVERYONE on here hated the new orange scheme. Now....we have come full circle. H1 and H2 have become accepted and the new is the evil. Here we go again with the new paint scheme.

I for one dont care what they are painted. I enjoy watching and photographing trains. The railroads can do what they want with the paint schemes...they are in it to make money. They could care less what we railfans think of them.

Matthew

Date: 02/26/05 21:43
Author: FallinFlag

i love everything EMD and as long as the railroad police leave me alone i love everything trains. except the idiots at 540 water st. 5th floor & oakland.

Date: 02/26/05 21:53
Author: px320

As an old geezer all I can say is take your pictures while can because this to shall pass.

Date: 02/26/05 22:22
Author: gobbl3gook

>>>I can remember not too many years ago when BNSF first came out with H1 and H2. My god, it was the end of the world. EVERYONE on here hated the new orange scheme. Now....we have come full circle. H1 and H2 have become accepted and the new is the evil. Here we go again with the new paint scheme. <<<

I wasn't a fan of H1/H2 then, not a fan now. But I have to admit it has more class, more style, than the wedge.

Never liked UP either. This is from when we had a train set as a kid, we had a UP locomotive. I didn't like the colors. Much preferred the colors of the trains in the neighborhood--Soo, Milwaukee, Rock Island. Didn't like the BN or CNW so much, but definitely didn't like that UP...

Now I live on the UP, see 50 of those yellow engines every day, and, yah, they're nothing to get excited about, colorwise, flavorwise. Heck, just after I wrote that "flavorwise" I went outside for a spell to watch 2 yellow SD40-2s pull a 102 car train to Martinez. It was great, a good, respectable train, with EMD 645s hammering away, a lot of classy cars. But it would be ever so much more exciting for me if the power was painted scarlet and grey.

And it's not just that I like "old" things or whatever. I lived on the SP/Rio Grande in the heyday of the early 90s, I lived for every scarlet and grey and every black and gold locomotive that came through. Loved those wide bloody noses on the SD70Ms and AC4400s.

It's just rotten luck, from my point of view, that with so many classy paint schemes that were around 25 years ago, the entire western US is populated with UP and BNSF.

And as for those SD70ACes, why did they choose the ugly cab? The SD9043s may be big and gangly, and not have the clean lines of an SD70M or an AC4400, but at least they have a decent looking cab.

Anyhow, a rather dismal poll...

Ted in Davis

**EDIT**

Actually, I'm going to change my vote. I say the WEDGE LOGO is the ugliest. Because, for all its faults, the SD90/SD70ACes have something going for them. That's that they don't look like a vehicle, they look like a MACHINE. They're so big, so long, so gangly, so kitbashed, that they have a certain honesty of appearance that the more styley locomotives just don't have. So, bring them on!!!

Date: 02/26/05 23:32
Author: professional-railfan

I guess I haven't seen either one in person yet, but I will be sure to let you know when I see both...

trainman_47 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To ALL trainorders members....WHICH is the
> ugliest..The new BNSF paint scheme ( OR ) EMDs new
> SD-70ace??? Hmmmmm...thats gotta be close. Think
> my vote goes to BNSF!

Date: 02/27/05 00:46
Author: coosbayhauler

I'd have to say the BNSF logo - at least take it off the nose, it just does not look right.

Ah, what's the use - If I had my way again every loco would be grimy nasty gray and read "Southern Pacific" on the side...

I like the looks of the sd70ace - looks like a big bad muthuh to me!

coosbayhauler

Date: 02/27/05 07:32
Author: lizzard_45

I'll have to go with the BNSF logo. Being a Grande fan, I usually like anything from EMD.
Paul H. Liddiard

Date: 02/27/05 10:14
Author: TopcoatSmith

The SD-whatever is ugly, the bNSf wedgie is just ridiculous. That said I've noticed a trend in "wedgieism", Savage Companies down in Wilmington had to drop the Indian with headdress cuz it was inthenthitive son now they to have a wedgie for the bottom leg of the E in their name, a previously mentioned airport shuttle has a wedgie logo (and NS-style font to boot), I think this is all Nike's fault.

TCS - just don't do it.

Date: 02/27/05 10:42
Author: highgreengraphics

Think of the bright side - that big, flat, new EMD nose will make more room for the new BNSF "forward thinking, cutting edge" logo - it will fit better on this than the now-classic "old" EMD nose! So does ugly + ugly = pretty? Just trying to be optimistic! - - - - - - - JLH

Date: 02/27/05 12:56

What in the heck is a "Wedgie"? Another railfan acronym or railfanonaise. Somebody needs to translate into railroad lingo.

RickH

Date: 02/27/05 15:31
Author: NYCSTL8

All of you Westerners whining about paint schemes should thank your lucky stars for the presence among you of locos that at least have some color. Picture a West patrolled by nothing but NS black. THEN you would have a legitimate gripe.

Date: 02/27/05 18:29
Author: TopcoatSmith

BarstowRick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What in the heck is a "Wedgie"?

That angled thing under the bNSf letters that replaced the circle and cross. Looks like a wedge, is a wedge.

TCS - weh d gee

Date: 02/27/05 19:10

TopCoat and all,

You came to my aid with the acronyms once again. "Wedgie" I know from experience, what a highschool "Wedgie" is. Then saw my kids go thru the same stuff. Just not, so hip to the railfonaise of today.

So, I naturally expected to hear a definition that best fit BNSF in keeping with the old fashioned "WEDGIE".

Ok!! What best fits BNSF as it applies to the old fashioned "wedgie"?? Would it be safe to say, the designer of the logo was getting a wedgie from the rail president, when he came up with this arrow type of line, in the form of a "Tucks" pad under the initials BNSF?

Maybe someone can explain to me how can you have the initials BNSF as the name of a railroad, if they don't stand for anything? That certainly prompts a bunch of questions.

Maybe, I should start another thread?

Thanks ----- RickH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds