Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tacoma area Question & photos

Date: 04/30/05 13:24
Tacoma area Question & photos
Author: DelMonteX

I've recently relocated to the Seattle area (Gig Harbor actually), and have had a few opportunities for railfanning already.

Here's four shots (all Railpictures.net rejects) that floated to the top.

First question: I there a Yahoogroup for the area around Tacoma?

Steve Carter

Date: 04/30/05 13:26
Re: Tacoma area Question & photos

This bridge over Chambers Creek north of Steilacoom, is it manned? I've been by it twice now and both times it was raised for a small boat to pass below. How do the boats request passage?

Date: 04/30/05 13:31

CN power on a local picking up a string of cars on the siding north of Titlow. The switching moves tied up the crossing at Titlow beach for about 20 minutes, inconveniencing most pedestrians. Is this a normal occurrence?

Date: 04/30/05 13:33

There is a set of signals, mp 9.5 I think, just behind the green hopper car in this shot. They don't appear to be lit, but are also not bagged. Are they in service?

Date: 04/30/05 17:05
Author: Doze

Steve, nice pics.

As for Yahoogroups, psrail is about Puget Sound rail action, and you should also consider BNSFnorthwest, BNSFpnw, and UPnorthwest, although traffic is all but dead on these three. For the historical aspect of the area, consider MILW and NPTellTale groups. Also, there is pnwpassrail for passenger operations, and BNlist and BNSF. Toss in gngoat and gorgetrains, too, for Great Northern and traffic along the Columbia. Oh, and SPSRY for the Spokane, Portland and Seattle.

Doug

Date: 04/30/05 20:50
Author: RustyRayls

First time that I've seen a lift bridge in this configuration. It's really unique. Are there others like it anywhere? Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/01/05 12:22
Author: robertwscott

Steve:

Welcome to the PacNW. Looks like you have made the best of it so far.

Contact me off list.

robert_scott@medic-one.thurston.wa.us

Robert Scott
FoamersNW.Org
Rochester, WA

Date: 05/01/05 12:40
Author: WAF

Steilacoom is called Bridge 14. There is a operator that raises it and I assume boats call him on the marine radio.
Those signals are dark until a train is in the block.

Date: 05/01/05 13:20

So, is the operator there all the time? Do boaters have restricted hours for passage?

I was curious about the signals (at Titlow) because there was a train in the block (three times) and the signals all remained dark, or at least appeared to be.

Steve

Date: 05/01/05 21:22
Author: cewherry

DelMonteX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, is the operator there all the time? Do
> boaters have restricted hours for passage?
>
Yes, the operator/maintainer lives in the small house just to the south of the bridge. He does have 'down' time when the DS will relay authorities to trains, if needed. Don't know about restricted hours for boaters. This is a maunal interlocking within an otherwise all CTC operation.

> I was curious about the signals (at Titlow)
> because there was a train in the block (three
> times) and the signals all remained dark, or at
> least appeared to be.
>
As soon as a train passes these number plate identified signals, moving in the direction that the signal governs and assuming there is no following train within the same block, they extinguish. That is what is meant by approach-lit signals.
>
Charlie

Date: 05/01/05 21:27
Author: cewherry

DelMonteX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CN power on a local picking up a string of cars on
> the siding north of Titlow. The switching moves
> tied up the crossing at Titlow beach for about 20
> minutes, inconveniencing most pedestrians. Is
> this a normal occurrence?

Not normal but it does happen. The south switch of Titlow siding is probably 15 cars or so from the first crossing. The better way to do this move is to cut off your cars so as to hold the pick-up north of the crossing after recoupling the train and during the air-test.

Charlie

Date: 05/02/05 08:30
Author: HaggisKennedy

Cool. Folks live in Gig Harbor; I get out that way occasionally...

Kennedy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds