Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > C&NW LOGO

Date: 05/08/05 03:42
C&NW LOGO
Author: mvaughn209

The C&NW logo has changed somewhat over the years. Does anyone know the dates of the changes:

1. From Chicago and Northwestern LINE to Chicago and Northwestern RAILWAY
2. From Chicago and Northwestern RAILWAY to Chicago and Northwestern EMPLOYEE OWNED
2. From Chicago and Northwestern EMPLOYEE OWNED to Chicago and Northwestern SYSTEM

I believe that the change to employee owned was in 1977 but not sure. Just curios.

Brgds,

Mark

Date: 05/08/05 09:59
Re: C&NW LOGO
Author: cdub

The use of the employee owned logo began in the early 70's (I think 1972). But this brings up another question: was the employee owned logo only used on freight cars and cabooses? It seems to me they continued using the Railway or System logo on the locomotives. One more question is when did they stop using the Employee Owned logo.

Date: 05/08/05 10:57
Author: CShaveRR

There was a brief time in 1972 (and possibly '71) when the word "Railway" was dropped from the logo, and there was nothing in the lower half of the ball. This was just before "Employee Owned" came around (and yes, the locomotives had that logo as well).

I think the newer "System" logo began to appear in about 1981, though it could have been earlier.

Gee, I only worked for them!

Date: 05/08/05 12:11
Author: St.Croix334

Here's the references I have:

A timetable from way back (1929) with LINE.
A '72 timetable with RAILROAD.
A '77 timetable with EMPLOYEE OWNED.
And a '86 timetable with SYSTEM.
Not sure when RAILWAY was used.

mvaughn209 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The C&NW logo has changed somewhat over the
> years. Does anyone know the dates of the changes:
>
> 1. From Chicago and Northwestern LINE to Chicago
> and Northwestern RAILWAY
> 2. From Chicago and Northwestern RAILWAY to
> Chicago and Northwestern EMPLOYEE OWNED
> 2. From Chicago and Northwestern EMPLOYEE OWNED to
> Chicago and Northwestern SYSTEM
>
> I believe that the change to employee owned was in
> 1977 but not sure. Just curios.
>
> Brgds,
>
> Mark
>

Date: 05/08/05 15:49
Author: cnw8835

Also, a frequent error ...

It was long ago the North Western, not the Northwestern.

Date: 05/09/05 06:25
Author: galenadiv

When I came on the property in April 1971, it was Railway, and had been for about five years. With employee-ownership in May 1972, the logo changed to reflect the new status. By the early 1980s, the majority of the stock was held by non-employees, so they company changed it again. I don't remember the exact year. I recall that two logos were being looked at in 1972, the one they chose and one that said Railroad. I think I have a sample an inch or two long with Railroad, but I don't hink that one ever made it onto any rolling stock

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds