Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Warm Springs Sub Detours

Date: 11/03/01 19:06
UP Warm Springs Sub Detours
Author: shed47

Southbound QRVDO has continued to run down the Coast during Coast Sub closure between Newark and Santa Clara via the Warm Springs Sub. Has been running later, leaving Oakland in late afternoon and changing crews in Warm Springs. Have heard of no IOALB's during disruption. Caught my first QRVML since work began today, though there may have been others. It is seen at north end of Warm Springs yard at m.p. 5.3 at 1:25 p.m. with UP9500-UP7528 and 49 cars. Info on northbound symbols that have been running would be appreciated.

Date: 11/03/01 19:10
RE: UP Warm Springs Sub Detours
Author: Evan_Werkema

shed47 wrote:
>
> Info on northbound symbols that have been running would be
> appreciated.

Earlier in the day, there was an MSJRV out of Newhall yard with
SP patch job "UP 8852" on the point. I caught it leaving San Jose
around 1 pm.

Date: 11/03/01 19:21
Author: Mikey

I do have a word of advice about photographing these detours. The area around the College Park wye is not exactly the greatest neighborhood for using expensive camera equipment in. Too many friendly felons.

Date: 11/03/01 19:34
Author: TopCat

The only northbound train that I have seen is the MWCEU, other than that there have been no other northbound thru freights up this way.
The ILCOA and MWCPD are going up the valley. The QRVDO is one of the normal southbound trains, I haven't seen the QRVML this way very often. The MSJRV and MRVSJ run in and out of San Jose later in the day. The locals like the Permanente and Hollister go to work later.

Hope this helps.

Top Cat

Date: 11/03/01 20:18
Author: samreeves

I've never seen a doubleheaded searchlight with a relay box. Cool pic ShedÂ…

Date: 11/03/01 21:19
Author: brianbergtold

The MWCPD is still running daily up to Albina via the Coast. It seems the Eugene train has been running via the valley and the Coast. The theory was that the MWCEU would handle northbound Salinas and Watsonville traffic, but the other day the Albina train was billed to pick it up. The pickup wasn't ready, but the train was impressive with it's 2 original units plus 2 dead SLO helpers, and 3 units off an IOALB that terminated at Soledad.

They seemed to have been playing things by ear this past week, figuring out how to best run things with all the work between San Jose and Gilroy. This seems to hindure operations far more than the detour.

Date: 11/04/01 00:50
Author: christo26

Mikey wrote:
>
> I do have a word of advice about photographing these detours.
> The area around the College Park wye is not exactly the
> greatest neighborhood for using expensive camera equipment in.
> Too many friendly felons.

Well, the lineup shows the MWCPD running up the Coast tonight with the UP 4593 on the point. An earlier post talked about the EU doing all the work between Salinas and Oakland which was what we were told before the shut down took place. It seems that the EU went back to the Valley and the PD is now doing all the work at Watsonville and San Jose plus Warm Springs. The San Luis Crews are supposed to change at San Jose and the Roseville crews will take it the rest of the way. As for the IOALB's they are running down the valley with two units on the point instead of the usual one unit were used to seeing on the coast. Cheers.
Christian

Date: 11/04/01 10:55
Author: neilgross

Are the ILCOAs and IOALBs getting from Oakland to the Valley by way of the Oakland Sub (Niles/Altamont) or the Cal-P?

Date: 11/05/01 03:04
Author: FJC

Three nights in a row on 549 we passed a train, which I think might have been the IOALB due to it's usual assortment of loaded wells and empty wells trailing, being lead with two engines.

This was on the Martinez Sub (Cal-P), didn't catch any engine #'s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds