Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4449/700 On The Ground

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/10/05 13:04
4449/700 On The Ground
Author: oregonelectric

Just heard from TO member X4449 on scene that 4449 & 700 are on the ground at Oaks Bottom. Sounds like they spread the rails. Bus enroute to deboard passengers and 2 diesels on scene to pull them back on the rail I guess.

Brian W

Date: 12/10/05 13:44
Re: 4449/700 On The Ground
Author: ts1474

I hope someone on scene remembers what happened to Frisco 1522 at St. Louis a few years ago.Didn't the re-railing crew damage the running gear?

Date: 12/10/05 14:32
Author: SteveEshom

From on the scene reports, both engines are solidly on the ground. They were apparently making their first public southbound trip and while negotiating one of the curves rolled the outside rail over. All passenger cars remained on the rail and were towed south by one of Dick Samuel's switch engines. Passengers were bussed back to OMSI.

There are plenty of railfans on the scene, so pictures should be prevalent this evening.

Date: 12/10/05 15:55
Author: train671

Actually the 700 engine is completely on he ground but the tender is on the
rails. The 4449 is only partially on the ground. This is a very sad story
as all the trips for the weekend were sold out and the 700 had a revenue
train hauling Santa to the BNSF Christmas Party. The funds for the trips
were to be applied towards the future home of the 4449 & 700. I had the
good fortune to ride the first train of the day for customers of Dick
Samuels and we had no problems. At around 8:30am this morning the two
engines were slowly rolling side by side for a few feet and the steam
images were just fantastic in the cold early morning. Folks from the
W & P were sending crews to help put the trains back on the tracks. It
is not a clamity by any means but the timing is sad for all the kids that
would have ridden aboard. Saw many familes on Friday fill the train and
despite the cold weather there were only smiles getting on and off the
three trains.

Date: 12/10/05 16:43
Author: F40PHR231

This was the second trip of the day, first trip was at 10 AM. As of now, the 700's back on the rails, and work continues on the 4449.

Date: 12/10/05 16:55
Author: kmurphy

I was on the 12:00 train that derailed. In the coaches, it just seemed like we had a normal stop about 10 minutes earlier than we expected. This seemed a little weird, but nothing major until they announced that we derailed and wouldn't be moving any time soon.

The crowd seemed to take it in stride - most people just got up and wandered up and down the aisles in order to keep the kids from getting too squirrely. Once the switchers coupled on, the volunteers had us all sit while they moved us to an opening in the fence where those that wished could get off and walk back.

My family and I opted to walk back. It actually was a decent day for a walk - unusually dry for December in Portland, and not too cold. On the way back we got to see the problem up close and personal - the rails did appear to spread, with one rolled over underneath the 4449.

I hope the engines are OK. The counterweights on some of the driving wheels looked like they were resting on the rails, and some of the paint was scraped off. No other damage that I could see. (keep in mind I don't know anything about what to look for).

I feel bad for the ORHF. This could have been a really good thing for them. OMSI's just announced that ALL the Holiday Express trains have been cancelled, so I guess they've even given up on next weekend.

Kevin

Date: 12/10/05 17:15
Author: ahockley

I just posted 16 photos that I took at http://www.dogcaught.com/2005/12/10/holiday-express-derailment/

-Aaron

Date: 12/10/05 18:32
Author: MargaretSPfan

How sad! But at least no one was injured, as the speed was slow.
Broken-hearted, I am sure, but not hurt.

The pix I saw made it look as though the 4449 did not get damaged
at all, and the 700 got only what looked like relatively minor damage.
Not to worry - steam locomotives are built tough, and can always
be repaired.

I do hope that people who hear about this derailment and the
necessary cancellation of all further Christmas trips will be
sympathetic and will donate generously to the ORHF.

This is a sad day for both groups, but is really a small setback,
one they can overcome.

Keep up the good work, 4449 and 700 crews!

Margaret (SP fan)

Date: 12/10/05 18:57
Author: 830-east

Yeah Hats off to the crews and the Oregon Pacific! To bad UP won't them run a mainline track!

Date: 12/10/05 18:59
Author: nickatnight

Here are a few more photos. As one who was down on the trail this morning, let me say that this event has been handled with the utmost professionalism by the operating crews of both locomotives, the on-board train personnel, AND the host line, the East Portland Traction. For those not familiar with the area, the mishap ocurred fairly close to the midpoint of the 3.5 mile line that runs from OMSI to Oaks Park on the east bank of the Willamette River. 2 diesel locomotives were dispatched to the scene (from the south) quickly, and the coaches of the train were then promptly moved south so that buses could be accessed.

Who knew rail could bend sideways like this ?

Date: 12/10/05 19:01

Here the coaches are being moved to meet the buses. This occurred within mere minutes after the switcher arrived onscene. Passengers first !

Date: 12/10/05 19:05

Many passengers chose to walk back rather than wait for the bus. Many admitted it was because they wanted to see how "their" locomotives were doing.

Date: 12/10/05 19:08

Front truck of 700.

Date: 12/10/05 19:11

Another view.

Date: 12/10/05 19:13

The rail under the 4449 is turned sideways. In front of the locomotive the rail has broken. Apparently rail CAN'T be twisted like a stick of licorice.

Date: 12/10/05 19:16

The crews loosened the necessary hardware, and are removing the rail. Better look at the break.

Date: 12/10/05 19:19

As mentioned before, the 700 has been rerailed, and now the work begins on the process of getting 4449 back up on the railhead. A quick prayer -- that their work may be quick and safe. 30.

Nickatnight

Date: 12/10/05 19:19
Author: SP9392

NNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! And finnaly a real money maker for the locomotives! And this happens! Oh well, lets hope they get um on the rail and get the line repaired for next weekned, although if the've cancelled the runs already... I officialy volunteer my 16 year old self to help repair the RoW. I have no money to donate, but I have laid rail before. Only 12 pound though. Rail is rail though. My heart goes out to Doyle. I know it must be said to see his baby on the ground. Its hard for me to see it too. Any details on how their gonna get her back on the iron. She aint meant to run in the dirt. Seems since the railroads went to them infernal combustion engines, steamers end up in the dirt more and more. Oh well, Ill back on outta here and try to keep rollin.
Aaron T

Date: 12/10/05 21:05
Author: bnsfbob

This is bad news.

I'm nervously awaiting the damage report. No doubt both locomotives will have to go thru a lengthy inspection prior to any repairs.

Steam locomotives can suffer extreme damage during derailments like this. It is almost better for a loco to derail on the ties and ballast than to have the wheels and driver tires ride an overturned rail and joint bars as in this situation.

Best of luck with this one. Bob

Date: 12/10/05 22:28
Author: F40PHR231

Both locomotives have moved without incident to Oaks Park, at their former resting spot after being retired and on display for years. Kind of ironic that the East Portland Traction #100 is the diesel locomotive that put them away on display back in the 50's -- towed them out to be rebuilt -- And now today, dragged them up onto the rerailers!

Originally it was thought that we'd be here for three days working on the rerailing project, but everybody the locomotives were back on the rails within 6 hours!

Through the evening, us volunteers took turns hammering away at the spikes, hopefully the tracks will be put back together tomorrow morning. I also want to take this opportunity to thank fellow railfans and rail buffs for keeping a calm scene -- There were a few that attempted to run across the busy Highway 99 to a blackberry bluff, but in all everyone kept up a good attitude!

I'll post another update tomorrow evening on how things go for the day as far as getting track work done, and seeing about getting the locomotives rolling again.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1067 seconds