Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 844 on her own

Date: 12/16/05 15:05
UP 844 on her own
Author: redzone

A photo from this past July as UP 844 single-handedly powers the Denver Post excursion just north of Ft. Lupton, CO, where the Challenger had the misfortune of being set out due to bearing problems. Train would later pick up a three-unit set of SD40-2's at La Salle, CO, as protection power for the trip into Cheyenne, WY.

Date: 12/16/05 18:19
Re: UP 844 on her own
Author: 4-12-2

LIKE that image!! Thanks very much for sharing it.

Unfortunately, I was riding with buddies who wanted to set up on a certain curve, and as a result of not having my own vehicle (in which I most certainly would have headed south to see what in the heck the delay was), she passed me after just having picked up those units. So, not only did I miss the double-header, I missed her alone, too!!!

John

Date: 12/17/05 12:03
Author: AndyD

What is he use of the plating on the sides of the front of the engine? I've always wondered but never thought to ask. Purely cosmetic, or some mechanical function?

Date: 12/17/05 13:44
Author: CPB284

warbonnetwillie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is he use of the plating on the sides of the
> front of the engine? I've always wondered but
> never thought to ask. Purely cosmetic, or some
> mechanical function?

Smoke lifters.

I was out there too, followed the double header from Hazeltine to Ft. Lupton (actually to be more accurate I followed the pack of cars the train was about a half a mile ahead of me, and I hit a couple red lights in Brighton. Then stopped to watch 3985 get set out at Lupton, and followed the 844 to La Salle and watched as the Cheyenne local power was put on the train. My camera battery died and it was very hot that weekend so I decided to head back to Denver. Chased from Denver to Ault on Sunday with 844 & 6936. (3985 limped back to Cheyenne Saturday night) Saturday wasn't as much fun as it could have been, but seeing the doublheader on Thursday and running through Hazeltine on Saturday was a sight I won't soon forget.

Date: 12/17/05 16:33
Author: drew1946

They are smoke deflectors

Date: 12/17/05 23:47
Author: choochoocharlie

Always nice to see a great B&W shot............. C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds